Wi-Fi connection alternatives to a wireless router?

keemcfc

I want to go online on my ipod touch and (a bit childish i know but...) nintendo ds whilst in and around my house (i had a psp but my thumbs ache whilst using it so it got ebayed and i got a ds)

Ive looked at some wi-fi dongles on ebay and it looks like they all need a wireless router (wich i havent got and dont fancy messing around with)

so are there any alternatives (or other dongles) that will make a wi-fi connection point for my touch and ds (or just one of them) without need of a wireless router?

thanks.

singing stand blue said:
From my knowledge mate you will need a wireless router.

There isn't anyway of getting around it, unless you can tap into next doors ;-)
so if i got a wireless router could i go online with just that or would i need a dongle as well?

If you got a wireless router you would be able to get online with your DS, Ipod touch/phone, psp etc yes. They all have built in receivers.

Most laptops do as well these days. Only the old laptops and computers that you would need to buy dongles for (receivers)

Hope this helps?

singing stand blue said:
If you got a wireless router you would be able to get online with your DS, Ipod touch/phone, psp etc yes. They all have built in receivers.

Most laptops do as well these days. Only the old laptops and computers that you would need to buy dongles for (receivers)

Hope this helps?
my pc was bought in 2003, its a hp pavilion t335 if you know anything about computers and could tell me if it would be ok to send wifi to everything with no dongle?

sorry im quite bad with technology.

also does a dongle PICK UP, not TRANSMIT wi-fi?
and send it TO the computer, not FROM it?

so i wouldnt need a dongle?

edit: if im getting a wireless router on ebay (less than £15) are there recomendations or should i just buy a cheapish one with a decent download speed?

im stupid, what would you say a decent download speed is for a ds/touch to work good on?

A computer from 2003 i doubt will have wifa adapter built in, but you can buy cheap dongles. But, i'm guessing you have your computer plugged into the router you have now? You can still do that with a wireless one.

josh06 said:
A computer from 2003 i doubt will have wifa adapter built in, but you can buy cheap dongles. But, i'm guessing you have your computer plugged into the router you have now? You can still do that with a wireless one.
so i wouldnt need a dongle to send wifi from my computer to my ds/touch if i had a wireless router and nothing else?

No, the wireless router is good enough.

You only need a dongle to receive the signal, but as said above, your DS and ipod have one built in.

josh06 said:
No, the wireless router is good enough.

You only need a dongle to receive the signal, but as said above, your DS and ipod have one built in.
Cheers guys youve been a big help to a guy with a total lack of up to date know how, its well apreciated.

does anyone know if a hp pavilion t335 has a built in wi-fi reciever?

or would it need a dongle?

can you plug a wireless router into the computer (hp pavilion t335) to get the internet through wires whilst still sending wi-fi round the house wirelessly, or does the computer have to pick it up wirelessly to?

does anyone know what type of dongle it needs if i cant plug the wireless router straight in?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.