Will we win the Prem / Title still possible (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didsbury Dave

Stoned Rose said:
Much has been made of Liverpool being the best team we've faced in the league this year and them being 'unlucky' to lose.

I've re-watched the game twice now and we were much the better side.

We controlled the vast majority of the game and even before they took the 0-1 lead we'd hit the post (Navas) and missed 2 really good chances (Negredo). The first 15 minutes Liverpool hardly got out of their own half. We were excellent in general play and excellent on the break. We also dominated them from our corners. Skrtel in particular was shitting his pants everytime Vinny came near him. Our 2nd goal cut through them like a knife through hot butter.

The reality was they looked dangerous on 3 or 4 'counters', scored from one, were given a wrong offside from another and missed the other two (the Henderson 'back heel' and the Sterling 'sitter from 2 yards'). Other than that, they had dick all.

Their opportunities were down to us leaving that 'gap' we like to leave between Yaya and Fern and the centre backs. Coutinho was in there a lot as was Sterling. Suarez also came deep a lot and tried to 'spin' Vinny. Those 3 were popping up in there and this was where their threat was located. We coped very well with everything else they did.

If we deal with this 'gap' and this tactic we'll deal with them. I think our 'line' is now much better than it was then but will need to be watertight for this game. We cant have them playing on the shoulders of our back 4.

They were without Sturridge and Gerrard. We were without Aguero and we also played Lescott who if we're being honest is 4th choice when everyone is fit.

They really weren't that good and there is no reason to fear them.

Only just seen this post but it's bang on the money. I haven't watched the Liverpool game since the day but that's exactly how I remember it. And yesterday's was a bit the same: Southampton played in the gap you referred to. I am going to call it the 'yaya hole', because he becomes part of the problem when teams play there and press there. We might well see ferna and Garcia behind yaya for that reason. The flip side, though, is that we can cope with teams playing in front of us, like we did then and yesterday. What we don't want is their forwards playing off the shoulder of MDM or kolorov. Surely the manager won't play kolorov but he has to play MDM.

Re: Will we win the Prem?

All down to these games IMO. Obviously any game can pull a surprise but

Liverpool, H to us, Home to Chelsea, A at Palace (given current form)

City A liverpool, A Palace (as above) and A at Everton, will Everton want to beat us and let Liverpool win league (tough one for the fans, all depends on their involvement in 4th place and on that score want Arsenal to beat them).

Chelsea the only two I can see from their remaining fixtures is A at Liverpool, and A swansea the rest seem shoe ins, but with their involvement in CL you never know.

Not going to do the maths and far too many ifs and buts but this will go IMO to the last game of the season and might even involve GD.

Rammyblues said:

City A liverpool, A Palace (as above) and A at Everton, will Everton want to beat us and let Liverpool win league (tough one for the fans, all depends on their involvement in 4th place and on that score want Arsenal to beat them).

Chelsea the only two I can see from their remaining fixtures is A at Liverpool, and A swansea the rest seem shoe ins, but with their involvement in CL you never know.

Not going to do the maths and far too many ifs and buts but this will go IMO to the last game of the season and might even involve GD.

Chelsea are so fortunate. They'll play a relegated Cardiff and it'll be a walk in the park. But under normal circumstances that's the kind of game they really struggle with.

King Geedorah said:
Rammyblues said:

Chelsea are so fortunate. They'll play a relegated Cardiff and it'll be a walk in the park. But under normal circumstances that's the kind of game they really struggle with.

You would have thought they would have beaten Villa and Palace

Ducado said:
You would have thought they would have beaten Villa and Palace

Villa I didn't see coming. I think Chelsea were unfortunate to lose that game because Willian should never have been sent off.

Palace I had a feeling- Chelsea play like us that first full Mancini season. They're very labored and rigid in their play with a slow tempo. If teams have the belief, they can dig in and stay tight and keep them out.

Cardiff are the kind of side who could do that. Sunderland could too but they'll be knackered after playing us midweek unless we beat them early on.

The basic maths is simple. We win our games in hand, we have a 4pt advantage over Chelsea and a 2pt over Liverpool. If we can get a draw at Anfield, it becomes 2 and 2 (assuming Chelsea win next weekend). Then we simply have to match at Everton whatever result comes from the Liverpool-Chelsea game and win our other 5 games. We then win the title by at least 2pts.

We can also get it done with a draw at Everton even if there is a winner in Liverpool-Chelsea, but it could then come down to a tight GD equation if Liverpool is the winner in that game.

Didsbury Dave said:
Stoned Rose said:
Much has been made of Liverpool being the best team we've faced in the league this year and them being 'unlucky' to lose.

I've re-watched the game twice now and we were much the better side.

We controlled the vast majority of the game and even before they took the 0-1 lead we'd hit the post (Navas) and missed 2 really good chances (Negredo). The first 15 minutes Liverpool hardly got out of their own half. We were excellent in general play and excellent on the break. We also dominated them from our corners. Skrtel in particular was shitting his pants everytime Vinny came near him. Our 2nd goal cut through them like a knife through hot butter.

The reality was they looked dangerous on 3 or 4 'counters', scored from one, were given a wrong offside from another and missed the other two (the Henderson 'back heel' and the Sterling 'sitter from 2 yards'). Other than that, they had dick all.

Their opportunities were down to us leaving that 'gap' we like to leave between Yaya and Fern and the centre backs. Coutinho was in there a lot as was Sterling. Suarez also came deep a lot and tried to 'spin' Vinny. Those 3 were popping up in there and this was where their threat was located. We coped very well with everything else they did.

If we deal with this 'gap' and this tactic we'll deal with them. I think our 'line' is now much better than it was then but will need to be watertight for this game. We cant have them playing on the shoulders of our back 4.

They were without Sturridge and Gerrard. We were without Aguero and we also played Lescott who if we're being honest is 4th choice when everyone is fit.

They really weren't that good and there is no reason to fear them.

Only just seen this post but it's bang on the money. I haven't watched the Liverpool game since the day but that's exactly how I remember it. And yesterday's was a bit the same: Southampton played in the gap you referred to. I am going to call it the 'yaya hole', because he becomes part of the problem when teams play there and press there. We might well see ferna and Garcia behind yaya for that reason. The flip side, though, is that we can cope with teams playing in front of us, like we did then and yesterday. What we don't want is their forwards playing off the shoulder of MDM or kolorov. Surely the manager won't play kolorov but he has to play MDM.
Vinny says Liverpool have been the strongest side we've faced this season and I tend to agree with our skipper.

Watching this I think everton will be just as hard.

Arsenal really are weak. A bit more will to win and we would have come away with 3 points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.