Wilshere: 'England for the English'

Owen Hargreaves first lived in England at the age of 26. He had 23 caps by the age of 23. He was the first player to have ever played for England without ever lived here. Not one fuck was given. By the time he could win his first cap at the age of 23 Januzaj will have lived and paid taxes here for 7 years.

Where's Hargreaves live now out of interest?

johnmc said:
Owen Hargreaves first lived in England at the age of 26. He had 23 caps by the age of 23. He was the first player to have ever played for England without ever lived here. Not one fuck was given. By the time he could win his first cap at the age of 23 Januzaj will have lived and paid taxes here for 7 years.

There was some debate at the time though about Hargreaves choices although it didn't have the same slant that the debate has now. I guess that is because the country's mindset has changed somewhat and the focus is different.

johnmc said:

I'll wager he's paid more tax than the Janz boy which in its self is as irrelevant as is your mention of taxes in the first place.

Gaylord du Bois said:
johnmc said:

I'll wager he's paid more tax than the Janz boy which in its self is as irrelevant as is your mention of taxes in the first place.

You'll wager that by the time Januzai has finished that he won't have paid more taxes to Britain than Hargreaves has done? Love to hear your thinking behind that.

Taxes is a mute point granted. But if this lad, with no real identity as an adult other than a English one is less English than Hargreaves I'd like to hear why.<br /><br />-- Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 pm --<br /><br />
mackenzie said:
johnmc said:

There was some debate at the time though about Hargreaves choices although it didn't have the same slant that the debate has now. I guess that is because the country's mindset has changed somewhat and the focus is different.

Or that Hargreaves has an English sounding name?

johnmc said:

wasnt one of his parents english though ??

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
johnmc said:

wasnt one of his parents english though ??

But that's my point. Is that really relevant? The parent moved away and he was born elsewhere and didnt live in England until he was 26.

johnmc said:
Gaylord du Bois said:
johnmc said:

You'll wager that by the time Januzai has finished that he won't have paid more taxes to Britain than Hargreaves has done? Love to hear your thinking behind that.

Taxes is a mute point granted. But if this lad, with no real identity as an adult other than a English one is less English than Hargreaves I'd like to hear why.

-- Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:47 pm --

mackenzie said:
johnmc said:

Or that Hargreaves has an English sounding name?

There's little doubt that made it more palatable, despite early criticism. Plus the fact that his early performances for England were good; that kind of helps things to be quickly forgotten ;-)

MaineDAWG2008 said:
Lets all get along.

We should all be playing for Africa - cradle of civilization.

Got my jacket...

What the entire continent just merged to form one football team ....WOW !!

We need to keep the grandparents rule otherwise Wales would be really screwed. Simon Church, the scorer in our famous victory tonight against Macedonia came all the way from the Welsh parish of Buckinghamshire and qualified thanks to his grandparents born in Newport.

The best one we had was when we called Freddie Eastwood up, his family are travellers and his Grandads mother happened to be in Llanelli when she popped him out about 90 years ago, that was enough for him to be seen to be eligible to play for Wales.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.