Windows Corrupted

Blue Mist

Desperate Plea:
I am self employed and everything is on my computer. It was fine yesterday - today every windows file is in a different colour and when you try to open it a message says 'This programme is unable to run because of missing or corrupted files'
I have Anti Virus which states there are no virus's in my computer.
I have tried to restore previous versions but although it states it was successful nothing has changed

1) Any suggestions please (but bear with me I know little about computers !)
2) Ages ago I was able to log into my wifes account and reset the computer two days previous, so removing a virus but I can't remember what I did !

If I can't recover reports etc. I am in shit street. many thanks in advance, even to the ones that tell me my computer has cat aids.

Blue Mist said:
Desperate Plea:
I am self employed and everything is on my computer. It was fine yesterday - today every windows file is in a different colour and when you try to open it a message says 'This programme is unable to run because of missing or corrupted files'
I have tried to restore previous versions but although it states it was successful nothing has changed

2) Ages ago I was able to log into my wifes account and reset the computer two days previous, so removing a virus but I can't remember what I did !

If I can't recover reports etc. I am in shit street. many thanks in advance, even to the ones that tell me my computer has cat aids.

Sounds like a corrupt boot record mate, start it up with a windows disk in the dvd drive (you may have to set this to first boot priority in bios)

follow the repair windows links

Blue Mist said:
Desperate Plea:

Did Pige crash his car into it?

Just askin'...

also this runs from the cd drive to let you have access to the reports on the drive.

just burn the iso to disk

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php</a>

Everything nearly as normal now as I somehow got it to re start in Wednesday and therefore miss out what ever bastard bug lumped onto the computer at 10.45 last night.

That's Talkative for your help and thanks Flash but sadly this time it wasn't Pidge's fault, mind you....................

Blue Mist said:
Everything nearly as normal now as I somehow got it to re start in Wednesday and therefore miss out what ever bastard bug lumped onto the computer at 10.45 last night.

That's Talkative for your help and thanks Flash but sadly this time it wasn't Pidge's fault, mind you....................

No worries mate. If i understand correctly you have managed to "restore to an earlier point" using system restore. All your data should still be intact, since this has probably only re installed system files

talkativesprout said:
Blue Mist said:

No worries mate. If i understand correctly you have managed to "restore to an earlier point" using system restore. All your data should still be intact, since this has probably only re installed system files

Basically, yes ! It would not let me restore individual files, it would not even show files stored on a disc, whatever had zapped me at 10.45 was a bastard. I have lost a coupke of days work but compared to the weeks of stuff I am happy.

As for corrupted widows !!!!! Is there no level that Mooners will not stoop beneath ? (Answer NO)

If you're self employed and absolutely need it to earn a living perhaps now would be a good time to research a daily backup strategy?

Go on, you know it makes sense...

jegy6ypa.jpg

Only a suggestion mind ;)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.