Winter sun holiday advice.

Back to the drawing board on this. My wife has said that she doesn't want to go to Cuba now. This has come after her reading a number of Google reviews that have put her right off.

Taking into consideration the COVID-19 pandemic, do you reckon its too risky going to a country that's seen to have a real problem with poverty?

I'm leaning towards going somewhere in America but my wife is leaning towards Thailand with possibly Singapore mixed in too. She's also mentioned Mauritius.

I can't sit on a beach for two weeks, I need something more than that so we've got to get the balance right.

Any suggestions appreciated.

We've been to Mexico before and are after somewhere different.
how about St Lucia, went last December, amazing people and place, 28 degrees at night, 32 during the day and with being an island the breeze kept it just right, best place is Rodney Bay if you want great beaches and nightlife, not expensive either, cost me £1650 ea for all inclusive, 10 nights, 5 star hotel, stunning island that's the jewel of the carribean, great music too

Just booked the riu palace bavaro Beach Dominican for November,,anyone been,am I in a good part of the island
Punta Cana region's fine with the Bavaro Beach main tourist area to the north. Not a lot going on outside of the All Inclusive resorts but an excellent base for some R and R. The beaches are splendid with Robinson Crusoe-esque walks along mile after mile of powdered white sand. We stayed at the Grand Paladium palace resort and spa.

There are some cool trips if your going stir crazy, we enjoyed a trip in country on monster trucks to the river where they filmed Apocalpse Now. You get to see the plantations were the Haitian's work with the surrounding countryside greener than green. I heard say that they also filmed Jurasic Park here. You'll enjoy it.

tG1551A.jpg

oeZ8Tr8.jpg

Last edited:
Punta Cana region is fine with the Bavaro Beach main tourist area to the north. Not a lot going on outside of the All Inclusive resorts but an excellent base for some R and R. Beaches are spledid with Robinson Crusoe-esque walks to be had along mile after mile of powdered white sand. We stayed at the Grand Paladium palace resort and spa.

There are some cool trips if your going stir crazy and we enjoyed a trip in country on monster trucks to the river where they filmed Apocalpse Now. You get to see the plantations were the Haitian's work and the surrounding countryside is a sight to behold being greener than green. I heard say that they filmed Jurasic Park here. You'll enjoy it.

tG1551A.jpg

oeZ8Tr8.jpg
Most appreciated mate,looks terrific,will be there for the group games during the world cup,so IL be making the most of the all inclusive beer tap

I taste like strawberries, every cunting non see em wants a piece of my beautiful arse

Me and my missus are looking to go away this November for 14 nights. We've been looking at Cuba and particularly a 3 night in Havana then off to Varadero trip. Got a quote etc but we've read that the food in Cuba can be a bit sketchy.

To be honest it's made us consider other options as the holiday isn't cheap and decent food is a must.

So, other options we've briefly chatted about include Thailand and Miami.

So I'm after the thoughts of any bluemooners that have been to any of the 3 destinations, if you've been to all 3 then you could be of huge help.

We're not after 2 weeks just on a gorgeous beach, although the bulk of the holiday will be just that. We also want a City or town nearby that we can visit whilst there.

Cuba looked right up our street but we're reluctant to part with the time and money if we're likely to be disappointed with the food.

Would we find a similar situation in Thailand? Is Miami not relaxing enough for a two week visit?

Any help appreciated.
Dubai mate loved it first time go every December now. South America good shout also

Punta Cana region's fine with the Bavaro Beach main tourist area to the north. Not a lot going on outside of the All Inclusive resorts but an excellent base for some R and R. The beaches are splendid with Robinson Crusoe-esque walks along mile after mile of powdered white sand. We stayed at the Grand Paladium palace resort and spa.

There are some cool trips if your going stir crazy and we enjoyed a trip in country on monster trucks to the river where they filmed Apocalpse Now. You get to see the plantations were the Haitian's work and the surrounding countryside is a sight to behold being greener than green. I heard say that they filmed Jurasic Park here. You'll enjoy it.

tG1551A.jpg

oeZ8Tr8.jpg

Apocalypse Now was filmed in the Philippines.

Edit; apologies, didn't realise a small portion of filming also took place in Dom Rep, everyday is a learning day!

I was in Punta Cana last month, stayed at the Melia Caribe Beach resort, as a fly and flop holiday it's perfect.

Last edited:
Pretty perfect
Slick on arrival ..we were in our private transfer car about 40 minutes after plane touched down and got our pcr test results about 3 hours later.
Weather has been decent during the day with spectacular rain and lightning storms in the evening.
Cheap as chips too
I've booked the accomodation for next march. Waiting on a few airlines for flights. Gotta wait another 4 weeks for the dates I want to show up but looking At Emirates and Etihad. The seem the best value. Only want 1 stop and shortest duration possible.
Who did you fly with ?

Just booked the riu palace bavaro Beach Dominican for November,,anyone been,am I in a good part of the island
I stayed at the dreams punta Cana, wonderful except sea wasn't clear, probably as we went in june. Best place I've stayed was the finest playa mujeres in Mexico, crystal clear water so you could see the rays, jellyfish sneaking up on you

Last edited:
I've booked the accomodation for next march. Waiting on a few airlines for flights. Gotta wait another 4 weeks for the dates I want to show up but looking At Emirates and Etihad. The seem the best value. Only want 1 stop and shortest duration possible.
Who did you fly with ?

Qatar from Edinburgh
Good flight times going out but 8 hours transit on return

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.