Wireless Network

i remember last time i tried setting up an ad-hoc network between laptop and pc, i gave up lol

from what i could understand the router isn't necessary for an ad-hoc network, only infrastructure

both the pc and the laptop have wireless adapters of some form obviously, try using the network setup wizard to setup a home or small office network on the desktop pc and use the wireless adaptor to broadcast the network name, this should set it all up for you supposedly but i had no joy, maybe it was just me though lol

hopefully you'll be able to search for wireless networks on the laptop and find the ad-hoc connection and connect up to it, making it a case of adding files to shared documents and accessing them of the laptop

it never seems to work perfect though but it's worth a pop

forgot to say though mate if this does work it means that you won't be able to fileshare and access the net at the same time, when connected to the router you can get online and when connected directly to the pc via ad-hoc you'll only be able to fileshare assuming it works

TINY said:
Well both can connect to the internet with no problems. And I'm not too sure about filesharing, simply because I'm not too sure where I would look, or how I would go about trying to fileshare? Cheers.

Right, sounds like both are connected to the router ok. Disable firewalls on both pc's (you should be ok behind your router anyway), goto network connections and run the Network Setup wizard and make sure you assign the same workgroup name on both pc's and enable filesharing.

Then on Windows explorer goto My Network Places > Microsoft windos network > 'your workgroup name' and you should be able to see the other pc's shared folder.

I have a linksys router in exactly he same setup as you (wired to the desktop, wireless to the laptop) and use filesharing all the time but have found it is more reliable with fixed IP addresses (by default your pcs IP adresses will be assigned by the router and can change whenever you reboot one of the pc's).

You fucking beauty!

At last they're connected! You have no idea how many times I've attempted to do that lol Did that what you said last (have done that before) it asked me to restart the computer, so I did, then disabled the firewall. Did the same on the laptop and went to network places, and heyho, there is my desktop PC. Fuckin beauty.

Cheers for the help lads!

TINY.

Glad to have helped mate. Re the firewall issue, your linksys provides a hardware firewall though if you goto Sheilds Up (see Computer Security thread) you might find one port (IDENT) visible, the way to shut it is to set up a rule in the router and untick the enable box.

Everything shows up stealth etc, same as this afternoon when I checked. So looks like its all secure. Thanks again mate!

Good stuff, I still find it useful to use software like zonealarm so that you get to grant or deny permission for anything wanting outbound access the internet.

I connect to a neighbours network, they dont notice or dont care, i dont have access to their files etc and vice versa plus it doesnt cost me anything...technically illegal and annoying when they turn it off but suits me.

Sssh

We have our own but when I'm out and about i always search for any unsecured and connect if i can, it doesn't do any harm and i don't steal files etc so i can't see the problem really

but again, shhhh ;-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.