Wireless Network

TINY

Alright people.

I'm trying too set-up a home network, from the desktop PC to a Laptop, both wireless. I wanted to connect both computers so I can transfer files/folders between each computer. Now I've been trying to do this for the past few hours and I'm getting nowhere fast. I've had a look on Google but all I can get is the best things to use for this, I.E which router to use etc. Not a lot of help seen as though I have the router, network cards etc.

SO...can anyone give me a hand, or a step-by-step guide? Cheers in adcance.

What have you done so far mate?

Download network stumbler, its free and should tell you whether your wirless adaptors are working, enabled and can see each other:
http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/

Do your wireless drivers allow windows to control them or only their own software?

My mate put a wireless card in his desktop pc, the card came with some software call Soft-AP (software access point) and that allows him to access the net on his laptop via the pc although it refused to work with any kind of security settings enabled and so is open to anybody.

Plank (me)! Ive just reread your post and realised you're using a router.

Are both pc's successfully connected to the router and are you using fixed IP addresses or DHCP?

if you're using BT internet you'll need a modem router, ntl or similar broadband providers such as telewest only need a dsl router (the cheaper ones usually)

if the computers connect then you might need to make sure the ip configuration on them is correct, im assuming you have the computer connected to the router using ethernet cables and the laptop is connecting wirelessly?

if not you will have to do this, you always need one device hard-wired to the router so that if anything goes wrong you can diagnose if it's a fault with the wireless setup or if the internet connection itself is to blame for the failure.

as musampa says, would be easier to help if you tell us if the computers connect or not wirelessly, the router manufacturer would help aswell, and even better the ip address the router assigns your laptop if they do connect (usually starts with 192.168.2.*** the *s being independent to each router, for example belkin routers give out ip addresses 192.168.2.2 up to 192.186.2.100 by default)

Alright mate cheers for the response's. Thats the thing...I'm not too sure if both are connected 'rightly'.

Both obviously use the router to connect to the t'internet. And if I go too, Network Connections > Wireless Network Connection > Right Click > Properties > Wireless Networks > And underneath 'Preferred Networks' there is something I set up earlier, called Bedroom, which is what I called the network when I tried to use XP's connection wizard. If ANY of that made sense!?

If you have time, and know how too, could you go through a step-by-step from the beginning...if you have time!! lol

Cheers again

The router is Linksys, and the Desktop PC is connected via Ethernet directly to the router, and the laptop is wirelessly connected. That help? Oh and I think you mean http://192.168.1.1/ which is what I type into the browser if I want to edit the router settings.

TINY said:
The router is Linksys, and the Desktop PC is connected via Ethernet directly to the router, and the laptop is wirelessly connected. That help?

Can both pcs access the internet but not fileshare with each other?

Right does the wireless internet connection show up as active?

If so try this:

Go to Start>Connect To...>Show All Connections

Right click wireless network connection and click properties

in the box in the middle go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

click properties again

set both options to "obtain address automatically"

this is assuming your isp hasn't give you a fixed IP to use, it was affecting my setup a day or so ago and this fixed it

good luck ;-)

Well both can connect to the internet with no problems. And I'm not too sure about filesharing, simply because I'm not too sure where I would look, or how I would go about trying to fileshare? Cheers.

bjones371 said:
Right does the wireless internet connection show up as active?

If so try this:

Go to Start>Connect To...>Show All Connections

Right click wireless network connection and click properties

in the box in the middle go to Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

click properties again

set both options to "obtain address automatically"

this is assuming your isp hasn't give you a fixed IP to use, it was affecting my setup a day or so ago and this fixed it

good luck ;-)

Already set to "obtain address automatically" mate, cheers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.