Women's Team - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know what you mean but peoples personal lives often mean decisions like this have to be “handled”.

I'm glad I am not handling it, it could be a nightmare. Imagine if KDB started to go out with Phil and Phil decided he wanted a move, then KDB wanted to go with Phil?

What kind of fuckwittery is that :)

It'll be interesting to see if this is addressed by any of those who do go, there's been enough rumour about it and it wouldn't be a huge surprise, but it's been hearsay so far far as I can tell. It'd definitely be harder to explain away Walsh leaving the way it might be for those whose contracts are expiring.

The problem is it's not just one issue though, is it? Taylor hasn't inspired much confidence but even before he came in we fell short a few times and the club didn't seem in a hurry to change things. Cushing was a good coach but he was never at the level of Hayes, management just seem to be happy with stability and a challenge rather than really pushing on like the top sides.

Then there's the recruitment, we're good at bringing through young players, sure, but we've fallen behind Chelsea and Arsenal because they sign top players and integrate them well (Miedema for Arsenal, Kerr/Harder for Chelsea) and our big signings (maybe Mewis excepted?) just don't seem to get going, so we're left relying on younger players to come through and make the difference. That sort of strategy only really works if you're signing your key players to long-term contracts and iterating season after season, but we stick with 2/3 year deals and keep making the same sort of signings.

Really hope we can get it right but not at all convinced we have enough in place on the women's side to evolve the way we would on the men's.
I agree, some very good points in your post.

I'm not a big fan of Taylor mainly because he clearly has favourites and freezes out certain players. Biggest issue was last year when we had Mewis and Lavelle - we should have done much better but he refused to play Rose even after a fantastic performance in the CL - she was dropped next game, players don't respond to that kind of thing. Losada even at her age is a fantastic player but needs to play in a better system than just passing back and two across the back before launching 60 yard cross field passes. I hope he can prove me wrong as his quotes towards the end of this season were better but as they say the proof is in the pudding.

I'm no expert on the women's game but if we lose players due to a wage-cap rule, why don't Chelsea or Arsenal lose their star players too? If Stanway and Weir go this season, what's to stop Hemp and Kelly viewing us as a selling club and thinking of leaving next summer?

Its a pity Stanway leaves for Bayern. However she proved her worth for the women’s team, so best of luck to her. Changes happens. It’s up to the board and management to try and get an even stronger squad.

I agree, some very good points in your post.

I'm not a big fan of Taylor mainly because he clearly has favourites and freezes out certain players. Biggest issue was last year when we had Mewis and Lavelle - we should have done much better but he refused to play Rose even after a fantastic performance in the CL - she was dropped next game, players don't respond to that kind of thing. Losada even at her age is a fantastic player but needs to play in a better system than just passing back and two across the back before launching 60 yard cross field passes. I hope he can prove me wrong as his quotes towards the end of this season were better but as they say the proof is in the pudding.
I agree with you overall but not sure last season is the best example of it. Whether it was Taylor's doing or not, we barely dropped any points in the league and only missed out on the title by a couple of points, and got knocked out in the Champions League by the best team in Europe. Lavelle definitely wasn't used well but she struggled to get going for most of the year and the people she was competing with were on fire. That's another example of our recruitment problems though imo, a big signing brought in without a clear role or place for her.

It reminds me a lot of Pellegrini's first season, taking a settled but slightly stale team and tweaking things just enough to get performances then mostly leaving it be. I just hope we don't follow the same pattern and have a second season of decline next time around, because I can't see us finding a Pep equivalent to turn things around!

I'm no expert on the women's game but if we lose players due to a wage-cap rule, why don't Chelsea or Arsenal lose their star players too? If Stanway and Weir go this season, what's to stop Hemp and Kelly viewing us as a selling club and thinking of leaving next summer?
I don't think there's anyone seriously suggesting it is just a wage cap issue, unfortunately.

I know lots on here don't like Taylor, but I'm not sure where I stand tbh. I think last season was the one where I'd make a judgement, but it became a mess early on due to a mass of injuries that would have killed any WSL team. To end up with 3rd and a Cup win is actually pretty creditable.

But that doesn't mean he's the right manager. The jury is still out for me and this becomes the big season for him.

City aren't stupid. We wouldn't give him the job without him being capable to some degree, but the difficulty for me is that we just don't know how good he is because he's got zero background for us to help make judgements from. Same went for Cushing.

When he goes I'd like us to get a top manager in the Women's game so we know what we're getting.

The wages Cap has an effect - no doubt. It's why Paris + Bronze went to Lyon (that and chance to be European Champs) and Scouse Brows went to Atletico a couple of years ago. They can take any of our best players who aren't home birds anytime they like.

Not sure what kind of wage packages the girls are on or exactly how much were talking when it comes to wage capping and how it works but you can bet offers from European sides will be double+ what they earn here. The fact remains Arsenal and Chelsea are a bigger pull than us due to their history in the Women's game so attract good players from abroad.

I think losing Georgia to them is symptomatic of the above but also a chance to spread your wings, broaden horizons and develop as a person, nothing wrong with that. If Weir and or Walsh, Scott or others follow (along with an awful injury to Captain fantastic who's getting no younger)- we have a big problem that won't necessarily be fixed by Atleticos cast offs. I don't want to see us employ USWT members who are at a loose end when their season finishes either, they all just fuck off back to the States at the drop of a hat.

The sooner Steph is back to marshall the back 4 the better, Greenwood has been outstanding but I'm not sure I'd keep Kennedy, her game is utterly error strewn and big ones as well, in big games. Cost us the Cup final at weekend with a ridiculously rash decision when we had a player down, just when Chelsea were wilting. Also a massive gaff from Roebuck for their first - you just cannot allow lofted balls from out wide to cause that much of a problem that they end up in the back of your net that are not even a shot ffs. You don't see AKB or Zinsberger getting beaten by those or Bardsley for that matter. Taieb has to go, fucking awful at all aspects of goalkeeping at this level and bottles it big time under pressure. We need a better keeper tha Ellies proving at the moment but not sure if its partly due to her long term injury and a confidence thing.

It's a big close season for the girls and the club who i'd like to see show some ambition to want to win the WSL. I think we've missed a trick since winning it, Chelsea have gone on and we haven't. I reckon some big decisions have to be made if we don't want to become an also ran cup team. Not sure if that includes Taylor or not. I think hes done OK with what he's had - the side last year was just not good enough to win the League - although not a million miles off. Instead of keeping our best and strengthening it looks like were going to do the opposite - which is a bit shit really.

Have to wait and see how it rolls out but I enjoy watching our Womens team - they play some nice football at times. I'd hate to see the momentum come to a grinding halt as it seems to be threatening to.

Have you seen the stuff about Walsh possibly leaving too? We could be watching an entirely different team next season, could end up with an even early champs league exit!
Not the female Nige! Mrs Ewing taught Keira in her last year in primary school. She's a City fan through and through, like Foden and Esme Morgan. I shall be thoroughly pissed off if she goes.

The feeling I get with city hierarchy and the womens team is they are not that bothered, and don’t seem as intent on building the best team around the way they do in the mens game. They seem not massively committed to bridging the gap between being competitive and being dominant. Re Taylor, it seems like the club just see him as their guy and that’s that. But if a bunch of players walk out on him, that doesn’t really work out too well for city

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.