Words that Bluemooners get mixed up

Big Swifty

Anyone can make a spelling mistake (well, anyone except me) or post a typo, but as a fully paid-up pedant I am miffed by the same words constantly being misused on here.

I've just seen a common one today on this forum: "I am bias". How can a person be a bias? He can be biased (adjective), or have a bias (noun).
Another is "bear/bare". I have seen on here "bare in mind" and "it doesn't bare thinking about". What does that mean? "Bare" means naked, or as a verb to show (a dog may bare its teeth).
Then there's "rein/reign". To reign is what the Queen does. Rein means a restriction, or something holding you back. So to give free rein is the proper version of removing restrictions or bonds. Free "reign" is thus meaningless, as it has nothing to do with kingship or queenship.

Please BEAR these in mind.

Or should I get a life?

Anyone can make a spelling mistake (well, anyone except me) or post a typo, but as a fully paid-up pedant I am miffed by the same words constantly being misused on here.

I've just seen a common one today on this forum: "I am bias". How can a person be a bias? He can be biased (adjective), or have a bias (noun).
Another is "bear/bare". I have seen on here "bare in mind" and "it doesn't bare thinking about". What does that mean? "Bare" means naked, or as a verb to show (a dog may bare its teeth).
Then there's "rein/reign". To reign is what the Queen does. Rein means a restriction, or something holding you back. So to give free rein is the proper version of removing restrictions or bonds. Free "reign" is thus meaningless, as it has nothing to do with kingship or queenship.

Or should I get a life?
Surely you should get a live ?

Or should I get a life?
Must be the hot whether or should of thought this post thru.

Or should I get a life?
Don't loose your shit mate.

Or should I get a life?
I'm with you. Really pisses me off when people get there words wrong.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.