World Cup 2018 | 11th July | SF: Croatia vs England Match Thread, KO 19:00 (BST)

I think people are going a bit over the top. We have made a bit of progress, sure, but we are a long way from being a top-class international side, for all the press talk of "heroes" and "lions". We were a hair's breadth (or a post's breadth) from going out v Colombia, and what would have been said then? Two wins in a poor group?
I see it quoted today that in Gareth's last 13 games, England have scored 4 - yes, 4 - goals from inside the area in open play.
We can't rely on Kane's penalties for ever, or defenders' headers from set pieces.
Let's keep a sense of proportion.A decent run, given very favourable opposition.
And not "heroes". Look at the Thai cave rescue, for heroes, including the lads as well.

How are we not a top class international side? We are coming 3rd or 4th in the world cup & went further than Brazil, Germany, Portugal, Uraguay & Spain. Yes we played teams who are not regarded as great away from Belgium & Croatia but we did away with the other teams like other nations couldn't. Big teams struggled against the likes of Australia, Iran & Morrocco. Also you mentioned how close we were to going out Vs Colombia but in previous tournemants we would have went out instead & don't forget we was a goal line clearance away from beating Croatia & playing in the final. This talk of a decent run & favourable opposition is nonsense btw. I'm sure Southgate said we haven't beaten Sweden for 20 years, we did Panama by more then Belgium did & away from us & the Swiss who are ranked above us name me another team that has demolished Panama. Then there's Tunisia the highest ranked African side in the competition I think they qualified without losing a game. Even Colombia & Croatia look at the creative players they have compared to England. You are saying it's not what people have made out but it's certainly more then a decent run as you put it. If people think they are heroes then they are heroes to those people regardless of what you personally don't or do consider a hero. The team done us proud.

How are we not a top class international side? We are coming 3rd or 4th in the world cup & went further than Brazil, Germany, Portugal, Uraguay & Spain. Yes we played teams who are not regarded as great away from Belgium & Croatia but we did away with the other teams like other nations couldn't. Big teams struggled against the likes of Australia, Iran & Morrocco. Also you mentioned how close we were to going out Vs Colombia but in previous tournemants we would have went out instead & don't forget we was a goal line clearance away from beating Croatia & playing in the final. This talk of a decent run & favourable opposition is nonsense btw. I'm sure Southgate said we haven't beaten Sweden for 20 years, we did Panama by more then Belgium did & away from us & the Swiss who are ranked above us name me another team that has demolished Panama. Then there's Tunisia the highest ranked African side in the competition I think they qualified without losing a game. Even Colombia & Croatia look at the creative players they have compared to England. You are saying it's not what people have made out but it's certainly more then a decent run as you put it. If people think they are heroes then they are heroes to those people regardless of what you personally don't or do consider a hero. The team done us proud.

People also forget the inexperience of our side, at this level. We did a lot better than I thought and we know we ain't world beaters.
There is a long way to go, but you have to start somewhere and the future is looking brighter than it was 1/2 years ago.

Yes, as i said, we did OK, ie better than expected.

The team did well, but I was querying the hysterical reaction, not our players, so it's pointless keep saying "we nearly...", or "if only", or "Tunisia & Sweden are top-class".

We did better than expected. Simple as.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.