World Cup 2018 | 18th June Matches | Next Match: Belgium vs Panama, KO 16:00 (BST)

Even after Trinidad & Tobago showed shocking levels of racism in overlooking Dwight 'father of the year' Yorke for the managerial position.

The most surreal aspect is seeing Landy Cakes Donovan getting paid to appear in Wells Fargo ads showing during World Cup claiming that he is rooting for Mexico since the US is out. I get that he's got professional roots there and all, and really I've never thought about him much, but it's a little on the nose and gives you a sense of just how lame the men's national program is that he wouldn't consider not doing it or, worse, that he did it to spite the program after getting jettisoned from the side last WC.

Anyhow, OT, sorry.

Nice to see Lukaku get his standard stat padding goals, when his team is already ahead, against a dogshit team. No player better in world football in those situations, just a shame he's awful when the game is still in the balance or the opposition is above pub standard

The most surreal aspect is seeing Landy Cakes Donovan getting paid to appear in Wells Fargo ads showing during World Cup claiming that he is rooting for Mexico since the US is out. I get that he's got professional roots there and all, and really I've never thought about him much, but it's a little on the nose and gives you a sense of just how lame the men's national program is that he wouldn't consider not doing it or, worse, that he did it to spite the program after getting jettisoned from the side last WC.

Anyhow, OT, sorry.

Don't apologise. It's good to get things of your chest.

Oh it is.

I’d post a long old thesis on its history but this three minute video is both informative and entertaining.

Feel free to rebut.

As I said -- not exactly how it happened but close enough :)

"The Path Between the Seas" by David McCullough (which I recently read before going to Panama) describes the situation as more nuanced than that. Panamanian separatists had a lot of say in the "revolution" to start with, and Colombia was having its own issues anyhow . . . but no there's no doubt that US gunboat diplomacy was the key driving factor in the creation of the nation, and that the "rebels" didn't win without it. And of course that the US completely hosed Colombia and Panama afterwards is what happened.

The French had a hand in creating it too by screwing up the original dig; Nicaragua was favored for the canal by the US originally (and for a long time).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.