World Cup Documentaries on History Channel

Watched that the other night. It was pretty good.

One thing they clearly demonstrate is the incremental tournament by tournament improvement in the quality of football played - I have seen some stuff that a BFS team would be ashamed of - in fact some of the newer countries like Cameroon in those days played with a refreshing freedom. Uruguay and even Brazil played some shocking stuff - Italy and Germany had a lot of cloggers - we just weren't aware of what could be done with a ball and 11 players.....

I'm enjoying the documentaries of the old world cups etc but can't stand the newly filmed close up clips of the players feet and legs to emphasize a piece of the game they're talking about. I've watched England v Cameroon from Italia 90 and in the re-enactment of Gazza bringing down one of their players for a penalty the Cameroon players shirt didn't even have a number on.

There's the FIFA Film documentary about the 74 World Cup on now. These old FIFA movies are really odd. More "arthouse" style movies the football shown is out of synch with the sound track - lots of slow mo's stuff - its like showing football to somebody who knows its there but has never been arsed to watch it. The odd thing is when they did come to the game after watching this they would be none the wiser as to whats going on.

Great one last night on the 98 tournament. Lots of atmospheric close ups and smoking..

I'm enjoying the documentaries of the old world cups etc but can't stand the newly filmed close up clips of the players feet and legs to emphasize a piece of the game they're talking about. I've watched England v Cameroon from Italia 90 and in the re-enactment of Gazza bringing down one of their players for a penalty the Cameroon players shirt didn't even have a number on.
That will probably have been a blood shirt.

I know they’re from Africa but they did bring the correct equipment.
2d0xffs.jpg

Is that Roger Milla doing that daft celebration for Cameroon? Plus, he sang that awful thing "Engerland swings like a pendulum do..."

That will probably have been a blood shirt.

I know they’re from Africa but they did bring the correct equipment.
2d0xffs.jpg

Not having a go at Cameroon mate. In the actual game, the player in the challenge had a number on his shirt. In the tacky re-enactment, the number wasn't there.

Not having a go at Cameroon mate. In the actual game, the player in the challenge had a number on his shirt. In the tacky re-enactment, the number wasn't there.
Aah I get you. I watched “One Night In Turin” and it was good apart from them trying to re-enact every tackle, kick off and goal using someone wearing similar socks to the kits being worn. It was the weirdest thing and completely unnecessary.

Just reread your post and realised this is exactly what you are on about. My mistake, as you were.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.