World Cup Thread, Round of 16, Sat 28 June - Tue 1 July

yankblue said:
Tough to go out like that, but credit where credit's due - bar 15 minutes at the end Belgium were a much superior side. In a World Cup where none of the favorites have lived up to expectations, they may well live up to their dark horse title. Their depth is fantastic. Just hoping we keep improving and some of our young talent starts to pan out!

One more thing - it was very interesting (and extremely frustrating) to go against Vinnie tonight. Easy to forgot what a truly amazing player he is. On the rare occasions the US looked threatening he was so quick to move across the back and cut out the danger, often just when an attack was beginning to look promising. Played a couple great balls forward and was unlucky not to score at the end. If he wasn't our captain I would've been cursing him all night! Class player and even classier person

Very true. I had to laugh a few times when he swooped in and broke up the play and I found myself talking to my tv screen "you've got to do better than that to beat Vinny now c'mon!!" He's so class.

ianw16 said:
acquiesce said:
Fair play to all the fans on here from other nations that have given the US a bit of appreciation. I know we're not the most technically gifted side in the world by a long shot, but we give our all and try and win no matter what it takes. I would like to think that we have heart and when our backs are up against the wall we don't give up. By the comments on here I think you've enjoyed it, good luck to everyone else in this tournament and I can only say that I'm damn proud of my team and my country. I have to believe that we will get there one day.

More than likely mate. It might take a generation, and hopefully City are helping in that. The amount of interest from the U.S. will be crucial in future World Cups in my view. Therein lies the future. I think our owners have seen that, and that's why they have gone down the path they have chosen. Let's be honest. nobody's going to give you a decent game of Grid Iron anytime soon.

They really need to produce a great player to sustain the interest. Their team is hard working, functional and efficient but doesn't have many stars. The Americans, perhaps more than most, like their poster boys. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady etc. If they can produce a couple of players that can capture the imagination of the kids the interest will really grow.

Bewar3them00n said:
nmc said:
If only England could get 11 players out there showing that level of commitment. It might make up for our complete lack of quality. Well done USA.
Exactly what I was thinking, shameful

Wouldnt mean a jot if we lost in last 16 with our keeper preventing it from being a 10-0 defeat.
Who specifically did not put in effort and commitment for England ?

lancs blue said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
copying off City of old.

I'm glad somebody else noticed it, we scored from it too.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32GNdXG_Fig#t=165[/video]

They tried that free kick before this. Lee scored a cracker against WBA in the 68 Charity Shield game

<a class="postlink" href="http://youtu.be/vacQM7Q0dFc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://youtu.be/vacQM7Q0dFc</a>

Thought belgium were fantastic last night until tiredness kicked in the 2nd half of extra time can really see them knocking the argies out so im going for.

france
colombia
holland
belgium

As my last 4

Apologies if already been said - but it was a joy watching Belgium vs. USA last night - with no 'diving/flopping(as USA would say). No trying to con the ref.
No - "god he has been shot by a sniper" syndrome. I really wish some refs. in this WC would book Robben with 2 yellows early on - see how good Netherlands would be then.

cibaman said:
ianw16 said:
acquiesce said:
Fair play to all the fans on here from other nations that have given the US a bit of appreciation. I know we're not the most technically gifted side in the world by a long shot, but we give our all and try and win no matter what it takes. I would like to think that we have heart and when our backs are up against the wall we don't give up. By the comments on here I think you've enjoyed it, good luck to everyone else in this tournament and I can only say that I'm damn proud of my team and my country. I have to believe that we will get there one day.

More than likely mate. It might take a generation, and hopefully City are helping in that. The amount of interest from the U.S. will be crucial in future World Cups in my view. Therein lies the future. I think our owners have seen that, and that's why they have gone down the path they have chosen. Let's be honest. nobody's going to give you a decent game of Grid Iron anytime soon.

They really need to produce a great player to sustain the interest. Their team is hard working, functional and efficient but doesn't have many stars. The Americans, perhaps more than most, like their poster boys. Michael Jordan, Tom Brady etc. If they can produce a couple of players that can capture the imagination of the kids the interest will really grow.
Maybe Julian Green?

Vinny's goal to goal at 89' was why he's the best in the world. The whiff on the strike attempt at the end of the play was hilariously bad though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.