Worlds coolest cities…

Manchester in 3rd but no Rio, Barcelona, Madrid, rome, Rio or New York on the list… okay.

After a lot of thought I think the best City I've been to is Riga, a lads week there during the WC was brilliant, clean, tidy, sunny, hot, cheap quality beer, food & accommodation....must be good the Dali Llama was knocking about there too.

Wouldn't fancy it in the middle of winter mind you.

Places like Barca, Paris, Athens, Rome and such like are too busy and a little iffy for pickpockets etc.so nowhere near relaxing enough.

According to Time Out… Manchester 3rd!

It has to be said, Manchester is a cool city.

There is something about this city. Look at @Stoned Rose ’s Misplaced Mancunia thread as an example; what other provincial city in the world can boast such a musical heritage like we have that spans so many decades (yes, other cities have their big bands, but don’t have the consistency of Manchester)? Dozens of great artists, bands, producers and DJs. Club history from the Twisted Wheel and the start of Northern Soul, that infamous Free Trade Hall gig, The Haçienda and the start of both Madchester and the spread of house+techno from Chicago and Detroit (if it wasnt for Manchester that scene wouldn’t be what it became), Sankeys (which was voted best club in the world at one time)…
(Which we don’t make anywhere near enough of, there should be a Manchester Music Museum!)

Something that I always think is cool is our different village centres like Didsbury, Chorlton-cum-hardy, Altrincham, Urmston, Cheadle, Monton
(wish we had more around the North and East of the conurbation).

The history of the city, and the importance of that history on the world stage
(which we don’t make anywhere near enough of!)

And of course our football teams!

Last edited by a moderator:
Can you class capital cities as cool?

They are usually places that have more money per head of population spent on them than provincial cities, and they’re all very touristy. I’m not sure they can count as being cool because it’s too easy for them to be good places to visit.

Provicial cities have to create their own vibe and culture through its citizens rather than from the country’s GDP. This makes them automatically cooler than capital cities.

Manchester - while it has the third most tourist visitors in the UK behind London and Edinburgh, and there are tourist attractions of course - doesn’t really have those big, coach-load-after-coach-load, tourist attractions like capital cities have (other than maybe the Rag’s Museum). You come to Manchester for other reasons.

Nice to see Manchester on that list.

SF & NY are great City's.

I have a real fondness for Prague as I stayed there on several occasions in 2019 for business reasons. Must go back and do the tourist thing; stayed centrally and really took to the place.

Porto seemed pretty cool based on the day trip there earlier this year.

My favourite is Tokyo and I would definitely class it as cool. Very weird feeling being in Tokyo, it’s like a different world. Their culture is so different to ours, their dress sense is mental, vehicles on the road aren’t anything like we’re used to, the food is unbelievable and the general atmosphere is great. The Japs love a good drink to!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.