Would it have been the quad if not a post World Cup year?

Possibly. Possibly not. It’s annoying that there never seems to be a close season for international players.

You can say short working hours, top athletes, obscene money, blah, blah, blah. However, everybody needs to recharge their batteries some time.

I was wondering at the start of the season how the World Cup would affect our season. We have a deep pool of talent, but the highest number from any one club to be in the finals. Added to which we didn't get a full pre-season with the squad, and some players came back quite late.
Everything seemed OK player selection/tactics etc wise, so maybe the pre-season wasn't as big an issue as I feared, but I was always conscious that we may just get a bit leggy at the latter stages of the season. Obviously this depended on cup runs and I hadn't been expecting to be domestic treble winners and CL quarter finalists, but there were definitely others out there with the same fears as evidenced by the topic coming up often, especially in pre-match threads.
Like many others, I can't help thinking that it's likely that the number of injuries, their repetition, the time taken for recovery, and the slight drop off in performance/change of style (delete as you think appropriate) was down to not enough of a break last summer.
Do you agree? Could you see signs of weariness creeping in? Was it nothing to do with the World Cup and just normal, or maybe to do with a couple of key injuries?
Day after winning everything on offer in England, who cares? What a season this has been and I’m not convinced it could have been any better.

We'd have still had VAR to contend with.
Kev would have kicked a ball straight on to the button on the video review console in the VAR booth that would have shown the angle clearly demonstrating the ball struck Llorente’s arm to the referee.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.