Would you be happy...

I don't care where your from, if you are a fan! Fans know about past players, club history etc people who just wear a shirt aren't fans and I don't give a monkeys about plastics like that.

Oh defo. Im just sayin that when locals hear a 'non Manc' accent they shouldnt think 'Day tripper' or 'Glory seeker'. As stated, I dont think life long fans will be affected much due to the points system we have. I also cant see why anyone would think ' Oh, City won the league, Ill support them'. Maybe young kids would be more willing to pick us when 'choosing' a team if we're up the top and winning things, but I dont think we will see a large influx for many years yet. I do agree that its a sad case when someone picks a side due to trophies ect-like the rags. Id like to think there is a good valid reason why someone supports the team they do. Whether it be due to the fact they have ties with that area,they have been brought up or born there. I live between Oxford and Brum, so Id like to think that if I didnt have my City ties I would support a Brum based side or somewhere close to where I live. Thankfully, I was bred a City fan.[/quote]

Sadly there are people - those with no pre-defined allegiance who will exactly pick us either because we won the league or because of the beautiful, magical way in which we did it. On my drive from Nottingham, I sometimes shared lifts with a chap of around 50 who was an East Midlander born and bred but who was a glory fan - only his support was based on the City of the mid 1970s, who idolised Dennis Tueart. People do this now a lot more I'm afraid now that football is such a high-profile thing.

And now people don't stay where they're put, the local allegiance thing will begin to wane. I'm from East Didsbury, but my daughter is a more ardent City fan than I am and she was born and raised in Nottingham and now lives in London but no-one would mistake her for a plastic fan despite her presence on the Euston-Piccadilly train.

Not this again. Same post different subject. Last time it was plastics from overseas and now from cormwall. YCMIU. Well for whats its worth more fans equal more revenue and it does not matter if you like it or not. Get use to it because its going to happen!

Big Swifty said:
........if City's success started drawing in vast numbers of "supporters" from Cornwall, Kent and Camberwell, so everywhere you went in England (or Ireland) all the kids were in Sky blue replicas? Or would we be guilty of what we accuse the swamp-dwellers of? Can we have a high worldwide (or even countrywide) profile without inviting the derision we hurl at the Reds?
Answers on a postcard..........

Not really but we're going to have to get used to it.

It's part of the package of being successful and fundamental to continued success.

one thing I've always loved about city is the heritage behind it and the connection between fellow blues. our supporters are either local, and/or brought up supporting city because their dads support them and are from the area etc.

every club needs new fans, so long as these are children not adults!

If I'm completely honest I can't stand seeing these foreigners on match days constantly taking pictures and not really bothered about the football. Don't want to turn into a rag replica but I'm afraid it's bound to happen, going to have to take it on the chin and say 'It's cause we're a massive club'.

Nonsense. It's a perfectly sensible question, young man. Otherwise it wouldn't have elicited a good number of replies, with plenty of opinion on both sides.
I don't ask "silly" questions. Go and sit on the naughty step. Don't you know who I am?

I'm all for 'welcome one and all'. . . new fans or old fans returning they are all friends of mine.
Success = support = success!

Big Swifty said:
........if City's success started drawing in vast numbers of "supporters" from Cornwall, Kent and Camberwell, so everywhere you went in England (or Ireland) all the kids were in Sky blue replicas? Or would we be guilty of what we accuse the swamp-dwellers of? Can we have a high worldwide (or even countrywide) profile without inviting the derision we hurl at the Reds?
Answers on a postcard..........
We'd be "guilty" of being very successful so bring it on!

The stick we dished out to the rags over it was, IMO, banter - something for us to taunt them with when we were shit. People who took it seriously need to re-assess their priorities.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.