Would you like a big house ?

My favourite house was my one bedroom starter home. Nice and cosy. £34000 on a 15% interest rate! Hard graft affording that and having a life but it was nice and snug! Haven’t really liked any of the next 4 too much. Served a purpose but nothing special.

Bit like your cock, houses. It’s not how big it is, it’s what you do with it that matters. (So Women with small cocked husbands and partners keep saying anyway...... I’ve heard that from mine many a time)

I have gone the other way and upsized in my late 50’s. Gambling on trading bank shares after the crash mainly RBS, left a big pot of cash. To stop me giving it all back and some, We decided to put some of it in to bricks and mortar. Also not much fun staring at a bank balance and you don’t know how long you are here for so might as well enjoy. Me and the Mrs now live in a 29 roomed bungalow in 3 1/2 acres. It has all the trimmings, indoor pool, tennis court, 4 car integrated garage, with snooker room built over it that I use as a giant model railway room, 6 reception rooms, huge integrated workshop. It is stuck in the middle of the countryside in Cheshire but close to civilisation, excellent pubs and good road links. As it’s very modern it looks more like an old folks home or a health centre than a home for 2. It’s remarkable how many of the rooms we do actually use, but me and the Mrs both work from home so spend a lot of time in it. The downside is the running and maintenance costs and as it’s a band H we pay a fortune in poll tax. Anybody who comes out to fix things always hike the price up which pisses me off. We only use the pool in the summer months even though it is fully heated and we have only played tennis once in 4 years. We will do a lot of the maintenance work and gardening ourselves when we retire next month. Will downsize in about 10 years but I have got used to having lots of space.

I have gone the other way and upsized in my late 50’s. Gambling on trading bank shares after the crash mainly RBS, left a big pot of cash. To stop me giving it all back and some, We decided to put some of it in to bricks and mortar. Also not much fun staring at a bank balance and you don’t know how long you are here for so might as well enjoy. Me and the Mrs now live in a 29 roomed bungalow in 3 1/2 acres. It has all the trimmings, indoor pool, tennis court, 4 car integrated garage, with snooker room built over it that I use as a giant model railway room, 6 reception rooms, huge integrated workshop. It is stuck in the middle of the countryside in Cheshire but close to civilisation, excellent pubs and good road links. As it’s very modern it looks more like an old folks home or a health centre than a home for 2. It’s remarkable how many of the rooms we do actually use, but me and the Mrs both work from home so spend a lot of time in it. The downside is the running and maintenance costs and as it’s a band H we pay a fortune in poll tax. Anybody who comes out to fix things always hike the price up which pisses me off. We only use the pool in the summer months even though it is fully heated and we have only played tennis once in 4 years. We will do a lot of the maintenance work and gardening ourselves when we retire next month. Will downsize in about 10 years but I have got used to having lots of space.
Well yours much bigger than mine :)
I think we had about 17 rooms and an outdoor pool I don't know anyone here in Queensland who has an indoor pool I suppose it's all down to climate.
3 and a half acres is a lot as well I guess like me you would leave some of it natural without the need for mowing.
I suppose with me it was a case of thinking one day why the hell do I have this huge house and land which costs a fortune to own and maintain and which I don't really enjoy lol.
Since moving to our apartment though we are very happy here I got rid of all my gardening equipment loads and loads of tools I now just have a small tool box with spanners screwdrivers a Hammer a couple of chisels and various other bits and pieces all stored in a small plastic box.
Got rid of a mountain of books that we never read and DVDs CDs photograph albums we're all scanned, videos of the kids all digitalised, things like that so now we have completely decluttered our lives and it feels great.

Too much cleaning
Not really as there are only two of us and there are plenty of local cleaners available if needed, but I don’t like strangers loose in the house. The window cleaner charges £90 every 8 weeks but he does inside and out for that.

Nimrod. Yes 2 acres of it are left as a paddock and the local farmer cuts it and sprays it twice a year for £120. We could rent it out to the horsey set but they are a pain in the arse so don’t bother. Outdoor pools are a waste of time in the U.K. I am a bit nesh so we run ours at 92 degrees which means it’s more like getting in to a bath than a pool. It’s amazing how much crap you accumulate over the years, every room is filled but most of it will be unsuitable for a smaller house. When we downsize we will flog/give away most of it and start again.

Bought a huge daft one a few years back and still own it but ended up looking like Katie Prices gaff as i have neither the time or inclination to keep on top of it. Is empty at the moment and i am about to apply for planning to flatten it and rebuild as a sell on. Plus i was miles from the City Centre which i hated. Happiest in my flat midweek which has minimal possessions in it and easy to keep spotless. Family home is a perfect size - 2000 sq ft and suits me just fine.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.