WTF is Up With Cotosen Adverts on Bluemoon?

BlueMoonAcrossThePond

Team supported
Manchester City
Bluemoon is supported by sponsors - fair enough - I've no problem with that.

But recently, sponsored ads have included Cotosen, a men's outdoor clothing outlet. I've no problem with an outdoor clothing outlet sponsoring our site.

And some of the clothing Cotosen sells looks quite good. I went onto their site and was about to order some clothing from them when I noticed items such as this:

Let's Go Brandon - A code for Fuck-you Biden

Pro-gun

Nationalism

And so forth.

Cotosen is a far right leaning retailer. Why is Bluemoon accepting ads from this company?

Last edited:
On my page the ads are by google so I would say they are generated randomly from what I have browsed online, I always expected Bluemoon has no clue what I will get as an ad.

On my page the ads are by google so I would say they are generated randomly from what I have browsed online, I always expected Bluemoon has no clue what I will get as an ad.
That appears to be so:

I clicked on the "ad choices" widget for the add and this came up:

As anyone who has read my posts - I'm a liberal. Why are these ads showing up for me? The Google ad thing is omnipresent - just about any site you visit shows ads generated by Google. No other site shows these ads.

Perhaps this is a browser cache thing - something specific to me.

I'm still pretty pissed off about seeing these ads though.
===
Edit - clicked on multiple Google ads settings to suppress Cotosen ads - they're still showing up.

Cotosen.png

Last edited:
Not sure these ones are history based, I get them too. Can't say I search anything that would a) suggest a love of naff right wing slogans on clothes, and 2) fashion at all, my entire wardrobe is black t shirts and jeans.

Ric is a far right anti immigration, pro life, eugenics loving shill would look nice on a winter coat.

img

Mode macht frei

reface-2022-01-14-01-21-02.jpg

Hugo Boss-woman

reface-2022-01-14-01-29-05.jpg

"I wanted a black one"

reface-2022-01-14-01-33-44.jpg

Last edited:
Google ads also scrape keywords off pages you look at and delivers ads based off that. Last April Google said they were stopping selling ads based off browsing history but it still happens to me. Another thing to bear in mind is that it can use the search history of other users on your network (same outfacing IP address). There’s a Kayak ad showing currently for me but I’ve not been looking for holidays … but the missus has! Hence why I see this ad now on my device.

Edit: Worryingly I’ve just been given an ad for tickets to Alanis Morrissette’s tour this year. I’ve been listening to her yesterday on Spotify but haven’t been searching for any info about it or anything about her and nobody else in the household would have either. Makes you think if it’s coincidence or not. Over to the “is your smartphone listening to you” thread.

Last edited:
My mate keeps getting adverts for contraptions that guarantees you get "bigger"...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.