Yaya, Aguero and Form

Thaksinssoldier said:
Aguero's misfiring?

And btw yaya dominated that Liverpool 3-0..that's why people realise we need him back.

Aguero hasn't scored away from home since the 6-1.

Great post Damocles. There's not much in there I disagree with. As someone mentioned in another thread, we have to go into every game with the 'anything less than a win is not good enough' attitude. A few away wins on the trot and bang, our winning mentality is back.

What I will say though its not just the return of Toure which is getting me a bit giddy, It's Mario and Kolo as well. It feels as if Mario has hardly played this year. There's a feeling were getting our top squad back, that will make a huge impact in our mentality which should spill over onto the pitch.

The return of Mario also takes a hell of a lot of pressure off Kun. It will benefit him no doubt!

Alot of what you say I agree with and those 6 away matches are absolutely key to where we finish. I think if we win all of our home matches and that is a big ask, we need to win 3 away and possibly draw 1 or 2. I think it will take 90/91/92 points to win the league.

Yaya is important but for me its Balotelli that is the key. He is a potential match winner and his ability to open up teams is whats needed. He almost scored from nothing at West Brom,scored a great goal at Chelsea and two at United. He won the match for us against Everton when that was heading for a draw and won us the match against Arsenal when we were struggling to break them down and won us the match against Spurs. I think he has turned 3 draws into wins for us at home and secured 6 points by doing so.

He is a nightmare to manage and has to finally realise that its what he does on the pitch that makes the headlines. If he comes back with his head screwed on then he will be the difference.....Its a big ask though

I think the speed of passing needs to be increased, players need to make more runs aswell pulling defenders away. Yaya coming back will give us the option of him running straight through teams which noone seems to want to do at the moment.

Balotelli's return is as important as Ya Ya's. I'd give Ya Ya the fortnight off, leave him out of the Porto games and get him fit again. What we have missed is his occasional incisive passing from deep, his running on the ball and the ability to move him forward against teams who are searching for an equaliser against us. That's one of the reasons we were bagging lots of goals.

Aguero is looking like a striker who desperately needs a good goal or two. All strikers go through these patches. It will come right. Soon. Dzeko is the same. Balotelli's return gives us options up front and his movement will open things up for Sergio.

I agree our form started dipping around Christmas but that was partly the attempt to assimilate Nasri in the team and also the tiredness of Silva.

Aguero should get a nice 2 week rest now and silva hopefully and they should be fresh for the final 3rd..

Cant see us losing any games with everyone back and a fully fit squad..

The title is ours!

Following on from the previous post, it would help if Mario comes back with a show as owes us and the team big time. Mario now needs to play like a team player.

Didsbury Dave said:
I agree our form started dipping around Christmas but that was partly the attempt to assimilate Nasri in the team and also the tiredness of Silva.
Really? Didn't Nasri play in a large number of our best performances?

I think the major factor is that teams started working out how to play against us - particularly away from home. Sitting deep to exploit our lack of a really good regista able to launch dangerous attacks quickly and move the opposition's defensive set up around with precision*, pressing us hard (a period in which a buildup of unfortunate refereeing decisions going against us made this doubly effective), and then breaking quickly - none of our defensive players, whether DMs or CBs, are comfortable one on one against quick runners.

*this is the role Pizarro has been acquired to play

So to summarise... we are in danger of becoming the "new Arsenal"?

Not exactly original, given that it is a view that has been on here for some time.

I do agree that it is a deeper problem than many on here would admit to. I seem to recall a thread on here over 12 months ago about which style would best be suited to wining the Premiership... most seemed to be of the view that copying Barcelona would be what we should aspire to, while others (myself included) argued that the style of the rags would be better to win league titles in England.

I'm still of that view. We have to become more "raggish" in our style, more scrappy when needed, more pacy on the flanks, more direct when the occasion demands... Arsenal have showed over the past six years that no team can now pass their way to the Premiership title.

Horses for courses. Mancini will have to adapt our style, and maybe the re-introduction of Tevez could help us with that.

Yesterday may very well a glimpse of the future, as least for the run-in to the end of the season.

Excellent thread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.