Your favourite World Cup team

The nice thing about MCFC these days is that you can support most of the teams there. Which teams don't have a City player? S'gonna be one of the most watchable WCFinals for years.

I shall look forward to Joe Hart saving the result of the boloney playing in front of him (except when Jimmy's running his guts out) but apart from that I would not place England as one of my favourite watches. Now Fernandinho seems to have persuaded BigFel that he is good enough, Brazil will be on my radar, and then there's IC, France, Dzeko, VK's Belgium and the guts of the Spanish team. Have I missed anyone?

flyer said:
Just been watching Sky Sports 1 about Brazil in 1970 and 1982 World Cup

The 1982 team was superb but I was just a lad in 1970 and watching Brazil then was like watching a team from Mars, they did things I'd never seen on a football pitch.

So Brazil 1970 for me, but which is your World Cup team?

Same as yours.

Maybe this should be in a new post of its own but what about people's favorite England team over the years. For me it has to be between Mexico 86 or Italia 90, although venebles Euro 96 team goes close.
I wasn't around for 66

bayern blade said:
flyer said:
Just been watching Sky Sports 1 about Brazil in 1970 and 1982 World Cup

The 1982 team was superb but I was just a lad in 1970 and watching Brazil then was like watching a team from Mars, they did things I'd never seen on a football pitch.

So Brazil 1970 for me, but which is your World Cup team?

Same as yours.

The first world cup i remember was 82 and i just loved that Brazil side. Zico, socrates, Falco were all just immense. I remember being 7 and running home from primary school to watch the Italy 3-2. I spent years and years trying to perfect my Zico free kick that he scored against scotland, never quite got it right.

[bigimg]http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~goldkeep/Holland74/teamUru.jpg[/bigimg]

This extraordinary collection of talented footballers set the world on fire for a few brief weeks in the summer of 1974. They captured the imagination of a generation of fans in a way that no team, before or after, have matched. They played football in a way we hadn't seen before, with skill, strength, intelligence and attitude merged together into a mixture that was uniquely theirs. They didn't actually win the World Cup, heaven knows why, but they created a set of memories that have lasted a generation now, and will continue undimmed for a long while to come.
They were captured from Ajax and Feyenoord, 2 bests team in holland.
The coach was Rinus Michels, the General.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0IXZ-TGZ5Q&noredirect=1[/youtube]

The first WC I remember was 1974 (I was 9 and it was the first year I went to Maine Road...) and Holland were just an amazing team. I was gutted when they lost to West Germany in the final!

That's also the year utd got relegated so it's probably why I never saw utd as being that much better than us, certainly it wasn't their divine right as some rags would have you believe, despite their recent run of success, and why it's not a problem for me to not see, or be really that bothered, about England being at the finals. For me it was imprinted that City were the best team in Manchester and that England are a bit shit and not essential to enjoying a WC or EC tournament.

For me Cruyff is still my favourite player of all time and that team have to be my favourite WC team of all time.

Found this as an example of their "Total Football" which shows how they hunted the ball...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qj9kpoD0Wnk&noredirect=1[/youtube]

And when they got the ball they were stylish and devastating.

malg said:
Argentina 1978.

A truly gifted side despite the fact that Brazil should have been in the final and not them after Peru 'allegdly' threw their game against the Argies. It was also rather suspicious that all Argentina's 2nd round game were delayed.

Brazil 2002

Their attack consisted of RobertoCarlos Cafu Rivaldo Ronaldinho and the real Ronaldo. Absolutely amazing attacking 5!

I actually can't remember all the players (i do remember that Kleberson actually played in the final!) but they played a sort of 3-2-4-1 formation:
---------------------------GK-----------------------------------
----------------D----------D----------D-----------------------
----------------------DM-----DM------------------------------
Cafu-----Rivaldo-----Ronaldinho-----Roberto Carlos
-----------------------Ronaldo---------------------------------

The two wing backs got forward so much they were pretty much all out attacking wingers. I don't think there's ever been a better attacking 5 than that!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.