Your worst ever City game witnessed?

paulchapo

On reading some memories of when we were in the second division in those dark days and the dire football we witnessed at times,i wondered what was the worst game you ever saw watching City?

There have been some bad ones in my time but the most painful and dire game i saw was on February 14th 1998 aginst Bury at Maine road.

I was seeing a new woman at the time from outside of Manchester and it was a wish of hers to see a City game.She came up to Manchester for my birthday[which is the 13th] and Valentines day,so as a treat i took her to the match[Old romantic that i am,lol!]

It was a cold miserable day and both teams were utter garbage but Bury scored the winner in the second half.The scorer i am sure was yet another supposed old City fan we seemed to encounter every game who for some strange reason used to relish scoring against us or beating us even more!

It was this game that made we think we may be doomed and unfortunately we were.On the way home she said to me,''I don't know much about football but that was awful.Why do you pay to put yourself through that???''

I had to agree but told her i can't help it,i love them,as crap as we are.

I think this game was voted the worst City performance ever on some fans site and i had to agree.Needless to say the relationship never lasted but my love for City remains,lol!

Manchester City 0 Bury 1

Manchester City slipped even deeper into relegation trouble as they lost to fellow strugglers Bury at Maine Road.

It was Bury's first win in 17 First Division games and piled more misery on beleaguered City boss Frank Clark.

The win puts Bury level on points with City - behind them only on less goals scored - near the bottom of the table.

Bury deserved the points and clinched them with the only goal of the game seven minutes after the interval.

Mark Patterson's corner was cleared straight back to him on the left touchline.

His second cross to the far post was met by Bury defender Paul Butler and his header sneaked into the net, the ball brushing City substitute Paul Beesley on the way in.

City pressed forward in a desperate bid to equalise, but Bury's defence snuffed out the home attack efficiently.

City's two best efforts came from central defender Kit Symons.

Bury keeper Dean Kiely produced a superb effort to tip over Symons' powerful header from a Lee Crooks' corner midway through the first half.

Symons' second header, from another Crooks corner, went straight at Kiely in the 77th minute.

The rest of the time Bury were in control. City keeper Tommy Wright made a number of fine saves to keep his side on level terms in the first half.

The best came in the 24th minute when the Northern Ireland international dived across his six-yard box to touch away a powerful header by Chris Lucketti from Alan Woodward's cross.

Wright kept out another Lucketti header in the second minute and then dived across his box to take a speculative drive from Woodward.

City created chances, but their finishing was woeful. Record signing Lee Bradbury directed a free header wide after 36 minutes and then fired a shot straight at Kiely when well placed midway through the second half.

Bury left the field to cheers from both sets of fans - for City there were the customary jeers.

Teams

Man City: Wright, Brightwell (Beesley 50), Tskhadadze, Jim Whitley (Conlon 83), Symons, Edghill, Crooks, Russell, Bradbury, Van Blerk, Rosler.

Subs Not Used: Jeff Whitley.

Booked: Bradbury.

Bury: Kiely, Woodward, Small, Daws, Lucketti, Butler, Jemson (Swan 85), Patterson, Armstrong, Johnrose, Ellis (Battersby 90).

Subs Not Used: Rigby.

Booked: Ellis.

Goals: Butler 52.

Att: 28,885

Ref: T Heilbron (Newton Aycliffe).

When I saw the thread title I thought of that game. At the time I didn't think we could go any lower.

edit: the home game against Bury that is.

fulham away end of 07/08. we were 2-0 up at half time. it got to 2-2 and i started scrapping with a copper (his fault), found out in hand cuffs in the back of the police van it finished 3-3.

ended up 6 hours in grey mare lane pissed as fuck. Actually it was pretty funny.

GazC said:
When I saw the thread title I thought of that game. At the time I didn't think we could go any lower.

It was mind numbing for sure.Awful day,atmosphere and performance.Sheer torture.Mind you under Pearce we drew 0-0 with Sheffield United at home on a freezing day and at half time i really did wonder what i was doing there as the entertainment was zero.It makes me appreciate the good times now all the more!

the worst one i can remember was against port vale on boxing day maybe ten to 15 years ago. It was ridiculously cold and boring. ps if anyone is sober out there how do i post a piture on a thread. ps i am not sure if i can stay up much longer for this boxing!!

paulchapo said:
GazC said:

It was mind numbing for sure.Awful day,atmosphere and performance.Sheer torture.Mind you under Pearce we drew 0-0 with Sheffield United at home on a freezing day and at half time i really did wonder what i was doing there as the entertainment was zero.It makes me appreciate the good times now all the more!

Yeah, it was at this point I knew we were going down - it's daft thinking back to it now but before the game I thought a win against a Bury side in a poor run of form could give us momentum towards a late surge towards a play-off place (wishful thinking I know, but being barely a teenager at the time, I couldn't get to grips with the fact that we were languishing in the shite whilst the other lot were winning things).

The events of the game (the atmosphere wasn't just poor, it was hostile to our own) and especially the phone in afterwards (I did have a copy of it but lost it when my old HD crashed, if anybody has it I'd love another copy!) and it felt like my whole footballing world had collapsed. It seems strange to think about it now, especially with what transpired the season afterwards (and what also happened later in the same season!) but that's the only time I've ever thought about jacking it in and not going again. Living in Heywood at the time I had mates in Bury who by not gloating about the result, strangely this made it worse as they knew we were really in the shit. Oddly they're all United fans now. The cunts.

edit

the table before the game if anybody wants to laugh at my misguided optimism.

paulchapo said:
On reading some memories of when we were in the second division in those dark days and the dire football we witnessed at times,i wondered what was the worst game you ever saw watching City?

There have been some bad ones in my time but the most painful and dire game i saw was on February 14th 1998 aginst Bury at Maine road.

I was seeing a new woman at the time from outside of Manchester and it was a wish of hers to see a City game.She came up to Manchester for my birthday[which is the 13th] and Valentines day,so as a treat i took her to the match[Old romantic that i am,lol!]

It was a cold miserable day and both teams were utter garbage but Bury scored the winner in the second half.The scorer i am sure was yet another supposed old City fan we seemed to encounter every game who for some strange reason used to relish scoring against us or beating us even more!

It was this game that made we think we may be doomed and unfortunately we were.On the way home she said to me,''I don't know much about football but that was awful.Why do you pay to put yourself through that???''

I had to agree but told her i can't help it,i love them,as crap as we are.

I think this game was voted the worst City performance ever on some fans site and i had to agree.Needless to say the relationship never lasted but my love for City remains,lol!

Manchester City 0 Bury 1

Manchester City slipped even deeper into relegation trouble as they lost to fellow strugglers Bury at Maine Road.

It was Bury's first win in 17 First Division games and piled more misery on beleaguered City boss Frank Clark.

The win puts Bury level on points with City - behind them only on less goals scored - near the bottom of the table.

Bury deserved the points and clinched them with the only goal of the game seven minutes after the interval.

Mark Patterson's corner was cleared straight back to him on the left touchline.

His second cross to the far post was met by Bury defender Paul Butler and his header sneaked into the net, the ball brushing City substitute Paul Beesley on the way in.

City pressed forward in a desperate bid to equalise, but Bury's defence snuffed out the home attack efficiently.

City's two best efforts came from central defender Kit Symons.

Bury keeper Dean Kiely produced a superb effort to tip over Symons' powerful header from a Lee Crooks' corner midway through the first half.

Symons' second header, from another Crooks corner, went straight at Kiely in the 77th minute.

The rest of the time Bury were in control. City keeper Tommy Wright made a number of fine saves to keep his side on level terms in the first half.

The best came in the 24th minute when the Northern Ireland international dived across his six-yard box to touch away a powerful header by Chris Lucketti from Alan Woodward's cross.

Wright kept out another Lucketti header in the second minute and then dived across his box to take a speculative drive from Woodward.

City created chances, but their finishing was woeful. Record signing Lee Bradbury directed a free header wide after 36 minutes and then fired a shot straight at Kiely when well placed midway through the second half.

Bury left the field to cheers from both sets of fans - for City there were the customary jeers.

Teams

Man City: Wright, Brightwell (Beesley 50), Tskhadadze, Jim Whitley (Conlon 83), Symons, Edghill, Crooks, Russell, Bradbury, Van Blerk, Rosler.

Subs Not Used: Jeff Whitley.

Booked: Bradbury.

Bury: Kiely, Woodward, Small, Daws, Lucketti, Butler, Jemson (Swan 85), Patterson, Armstrong, Johnrose, Ellis (Battersby 90).

Subs Not Used: Rigby.

Booked: Ellis.

Goals: Butler 52.

Att: 28,885

Ref: T Heilbron (Newton Aycliffe).

EASY - WBA 9 CITY 2 - check it out !

For me the worst had to be the 4-0 home defeat by Grimsby in the old Second Division on February 22 1964.

This was an inept performance from what looked a decent starting line-up. It may have been the last ever appearance by City legend Bill Leivers.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.