Youth players

ComfySeats

I was speaking to my neighbour who is a bolton fan, he was all giddy about city taking charges against the PL, saying its rubbish a d if we weren't being done we wouldn't be taking action....
Anyway part of the conversation he started talking about how big clubs get youth team players from lower leagues when they are before the age of 16, have them in the academy and then sell them a few years later for ten mil, with minimal compensation think he said 50 or 60k..
In his words this is what's killing the lower league teams like.bolton. Does anyone with more knowledge than me know the legitimacy to these claims?

Apologies for creating a thread for this feel free to move elsewhere if another thread is more applicable?

I think they did, used to play a few hundred yards from The Reebok (or is it toughsheet these days?)
I think we picked Daniel Ogwuru but paid a reasonable fee for him.

Youth team players at City get a good academic education in addition to a footballing one. What is on offer from City (and also United) probably does take players away from smaller clubs like Bolton but things have changed in the past 30 years.
Very few players from our youth academy will play consistently in the top flight or be sold for millions but quite a few will have careers in the lower leagues. The best thing Bolton could do would establish a relationship with City that would allow them to pick up the best of the youth team players that City release each year.

Youth team players at City get a good academic education in addition to a footballing one. What is on offer from City (and also United) probably does take players away from smaller clubs like Bolton but things have changed in the past 30 years.
Very few players from our youth academy will play consistently in the top flight or be sold for millions but quite a few will have careers in the lower leagues. The best thing Bolton could do would establish a relationship with City that would allow them to pick up the best of the youth team players that City release each year.
So the type of thing he mentions doesn't really happen anymore at least at city? My impression was our academy was pretty much top notch and we have mainly players init who have been brought through since under 11 with some exceptions. But as general practice it was pretty much city scouted players and not "stolen for pennies on the pound".

You should mention Daniel Ogwuru to him.

City paid Bolton 100k for him as a 14 year old. At the time Bolton were in administration and City could have had him on a free but did the right thing and paid a fee.

He left on a free to Norwich nine months ago.

So Bolton got a fee. the player got a decent education and a move to a decent club and City got a youth player for four years. So which club got the best deal here?

https://m.allfootballapp.com/news/EPL/Man-City-sign-Bolton-youngster-Daniel-Ogwuru-for-£100k/1480489

https://www.canaries.co.uk/content/norwich-city-sign-daniel-ogwuru-from-manchester-city

I was speaking to my neighbour who is a bolton fan, he was all giddy about city taking charges against the PL, saying its rubbish a d if we weren't being done we wouldn't be taking action....
Anyway part of the conversation he started talking about how big clubs get youth team players from lower leagues when they are before the age of 16, have them in the academy and then sell them a few years later for ten mil, with minimal compensation think he said 50 or 60k..
In his words this is what's killing the lower league teams like.bolton. Does anyone with more knowledge than me know the legitimacy to these claims?

Apologies for creating a thread for this feel free to move elsewhere if another thread is more applicable?
Ask him for an example that's directly affected Bolton.

So the type of thing he mentions doesn't really happen anymore at least at city? My impression was our academy was pretty much top notch and we have mainly players init who have been brought through since under 11 with some exceptions. But as general practice it was pretty much city scouted players and not "stolen for pennies on the pound".
The reality is that top clubs run their youth systems on massive budgets compared to the likes of Bolton.

You can't pay kids or offer incentives outside of strict rules but city and others max out those rules. Paying for private education and offering all sorts of support and great coaching/facilities etc. So the lower league clubs can't compete and the best players gravitate to the top clubs.

The money the likes if Bolton would make from youth players would only just cover the costs. So they do have grounds to be annoyed. But at the same time it's always been true that the biggest clubs can attract the best young players. And it's also true that the big clubs are among the worst at giving opportunity to their emerging talent.

So where clubs like Bolton go wrong is they don't do enough in bringing in players from top clubs who don't quite make it. City keep very few beyond age 20.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.