Youth players

City did have a good record for bringing boys through from very young ages as seen with the squad that won the FA youth cup, although it seems they are moving away from that sadly and spending on bringing in players from others clubs more frequently. Be interesting to see how the squads evolve in the next 5-20 years.

That said they generally pay better than compensation to smaller clubs, and pay the kids themselves ludicrous salaries when they turn 17 all agreed prior in pre contracts. 17 year olds brought in are regularly getting 5 figures per week and six figure signing on fees. Bolton and the likes just can’t get into that game.

Its the reason why Brentford closed the academy and moved to a B team model. The training compensation is hardly worth it.
I thought it was more to do with not having or wanting to spend the necessary money on an academy? They changed the requirements to meet the EPPP or elite player performance plan with multiple staff required for instance. Clubs like Brentford just weren't producing the required quality to cover the costs and decided to close it instead. They just let others develop them and then purchase at an older age.

The training compensation can be quite large although I think City at least are very generous if taking another clubs player on at youth level and always seem to ay well over the required compensation. We do have the advantage of offering private education off the pitch (which has to be offered to all players, not just cherry picked ones) plus of course, the very best on field education. I'm not sure what the budget for the youth setup is but it is huge, so I can understand a lot of clubs abandoning it.

I thought it was more to do with not having or wanting to spend the necessary money on an academy? They changed the requirements to meet the EPPP or elite player performance plan with multiple staff required for instance. Clubs like Brentford just weren't producing the required quality to cover the costs and decided to close it instead. They just let others develop them and then purchase at an older age.

The training compensation can be quite large although I think City at least are very generous if taking another clubs player on at youth level and always seem to ay well over the required compensation. We do have the advantage of offering private education off the pitch (which has to be offered to all players, not just cherry picked ones) plus of course, the very best on field education. I'm not sure what the budget for the youth setup is but it is huge, so I can understand a lot of clubs abandoning it.
Not my understanding mate, if the players were not of the required quality it makes you wonder why so many of them signed for city when it disbanded. But I am no expert on the matter, just remember reading about it a while ago.

I believe they are now restarting the academy

Not my understanding mate, if the players were not of the required quality it makes you wonder why so many of them signed for city when it disbanded. But I am no expert on the matter, just remember reading about it a while ago.

I believe they are now restarting the academy
I should have said quantity & quality rather than just quality as it's an expensive business. I didn't know they were restarting. do you know of any particular reason for their about turn?

I should have said quantity & quality rather than just quality as it's an expensive business. I didn't know they were restarting. do you know of any particular reason for their about turn?
New PL rule dictating that every club must operate one from the 2024/25 season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.