Zonal ?

When it doesn't work, it looks bad, however i feel much less worried now when we concede a corner than when under Hughes.

bluemoonste said:
Can someone please explain zonal marking to me ? I understand that each player has a zone to mark but what happens if two opposition players enter into your zone ?

Seems a bit cocked up to me !!

Here's a BBC article explaining the Zonal Marking system that Benitez uses. Looks pretty similar to what Mancini has us doing. According to the Wiki article on Zonal Marking, 15 of the final 16 in the 2004 Champ's League used Zonal Marking.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q=zonal+marking+football&meta=&aq=f&oq=zonal+marking+football&fp=e2ba582240fd653a" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.google.ca/#hl=en&source=hp&q ... 2240fd653a</a>

Sounds like it is the way to go. :) I've always been a fan of man-to-man marking myself but may have to reconsider. To be fair, Fuller and DeLap burned Arsenal within the first minute of the game in the last round. The plays look almost identical.

If anything I reckon our defending from corners has been better since Mancini came in with the zonal system. Whilst I'm not the biggest fans, as other posters have said, corners don't worry me as much anymore. Sadly, Delap throw ins are a completely different kettle of fish!

Is it just me or is the world and his uncle lurking at the edge of our box, at every corner we defend, waiting to bang the recently cleared ball back into our box? (Hull game is a classic example of what I'm on about).
It strikes me that if the opposition have to have one player to take the corner kick we can afford to post somebody in the D to make life a bit more difficult for these lurkers?

The other thing is that we've become incredibly slow at breaking from defended corners. We were much better at this under Hughes and also in the early days of Mancini. With defences so well organised nowadays, this is surely the optimum time to attack the opposition. If you don't believe me look at the rags v us in the hokey cokey and v Arsenal, too. They're not exactly suffering from using this tactic, are they? The frustrating thing is we have the speedy players to cause havoc on a breakaway. Against Stoke, (and by and large, for all the talk about their long throws etc., we had them in our pockets at set pieces), we seemed to prefer making half a dozen cross-field passes and allowing them time to re-establish their two banks of four defence.

You have to admit that under the system we simply don't look like conceding from corners. I've gone from dreading every set piece to being pretty confident of not conceding. We might not win everything in the air, but often its when their players are about 8 yards out and from there they aren't going to trouble Given with 10 players in front of him.

The Delap thing should have been dealt with better, but then there is no way of really planning against that. It shouldn't detract from the fact that we are very solid now at set pieces.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.