council tax

Always this - one of my biggest gripes about the public sector. This is a huge financial burden now which is only going to worse and no end in sight of ending this error. All this two thirds final salary after 40 years service (less years for some occupations), was all well and good when most people dropped dead at 70. But now with the pension schemes not earning or growing as originally envisaged, people living a lot longer and retiring earlier, these pensions funds are being financed by current contributions (and there is less of them) or by extra top up by tax payers. Its like a pyramid scheme about to topple over only that the back stop is the tax payer.
All the calculations that they were based on are in error, and you should never perpetuate an error.

To be fair, I think new entrants get a different deal. Career averaging rather than final salary?

However, local authority employees lived off the fat of the land long after most taxpayers had their final salary schemes closed down. I'm sure I read three or four years ago that a massive 25% of revenues raised directly by council tax went into pensions. That doesn't leave a lot for providing services but isn't the ethos to look after staff first, punters second?

If my numbers are wrong, I'm sure one of the beneficiaries of such munificence will correct me.

Last edited:
I would raise the threshold for exemption from NIC on earnings from 65 to 75 and treat occupational pensions as earnings subject to NIC. Its my baby boomer generation which is draining the NHS and Social care of resources, and its unfair that younger generations should have to pay more tax to support us. ( not sure I'd get many votes though!)

I know what you are saying: turkeys don't vote for Xmas but something has to give somewhere. There are genuine reasons why the NHS needs a growing budget and the debate is starting to come out in the open. There probably has to be a combination of extra revenue, clamping down on waste/abuse and extra efficiencies.

It won't get it as the Tories are diliberatly starving both to allow Beardy and US heal companies to "Save it".

A few plebs dieing for a bit more profit is fine by them.
It's not being starved though. It's received more funding than ever before.

The problem is an aging population costs a fucking fortune.

I do remember some crazy Marxist woman on here a few years back suggesting forced euthanasia for any aged 75 or over to save the country a few bob.

I do remember some crazy Marxist woman on here a few years back suggesting forced euthanasia for any aged 75 or over to save the country a few bob.

That sure is crazy. Think of the anaesthetic bill.

If you've got the contacts I'll let you share the rights to a new TV show I've revised which would make that option entertaining and informative. I reckon Channel 5 would snap our hands off for "The Running Gran" :)

On a serious note to help relieve the burden on the NHS. I would like to see Self care and education as and when to use the service in the school curriculum. Luckily for me I can't remember the last time I used my GP.

There's summat to be said for culling a few of the 670m if they are a burden on the public purse!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.