Neville/Giggs's plans for Manchester city centre.

Let's face it the architecture of Manchester is never going to match York, London, Chester - we are akin to a Birmingham or Leeds and I think Manchester is a much nicer place than them.

These buildings remind me of the Barbican buildings when first erected in London. Same colour and out of kilter. Now you don't notice them under the expansion of London.

I think the towers could be better designed but I am happy with this investment and in 20 years time if Manchester continues the same trajectory they will blend into the skyline.

As to the accents it shows Manchester is becoming successful , it is attracting talent from around the uk and the world. This was the reserve of London and it can only be good thing if we can attract more talent into the city. The city cannot sit still it has to compete and attract the best talent. These people like to live in the city centre , hence the demand for these buildings.

Foreign investors in the Middle East and china see London as too expensive so are investing in the city now.

It's just a Shame the council are ruining the city with its transport policy, no point having all this expansion and people living in the city if nobody can get around.

Well said bud.
I agree entirely and welcome skilled foreigners to the area.
Just sad that housing is more inaccessible for lower income folk such as myself.

But one issue which needs addressing majorally is our public transport which is fucking shit.

The last trams run at 12:30am (ish)
Yet Manchester's nightlife doesn't switch on until say after 1am with the bars/clubs which target the student populous.

Desperately need a tube/underground system and or trams which run into the early hours, which would benefit the nighttime economy.

I work in the world of professionals and high finance in the city (I’m based in a big glass building in spinning fields). You do inevitably get a range of people coming in to professional jobs because they all generally bring some technical skills or qualifications with them. You can’t run a law firm by hiring kids out of the local high school – you need law graduates and experienced lawyers who generally have a more rounded accent. That said all the firms I have worked for and deal with are overwhelmingly staffed by people from Manchester or at least the North West. In my office I would say 6 out of 10 are from within 10 miles of the city center and the other 4 would come from a mix of the wider UK and Europe, I don’t see a problem.
That's refreshing to read bud. Thanks for that.
Like I said I'm basing my views on my daily experiences.
If your place of work like you say is full of locals then that's great to know

no one is going to create a mini plaza down a backstreet surrounded by the backs of ugly post war buildings. The only realistic option for significant investment is something on a big scale over the whole site.
Ah yes....The Arndale argument makes an appearance.

That's refreshing to read bud. Thanks for that.
Like I said I'm basing my views on my daily experiences.
If your place of work like you say is full of locals then that's great to know
Not my experience at all mate. Probably 100 staff in my office, of which about 15-20% may be at a stretch counted as local.
I have no problem at all with anyone living and working in the city...although a few blues would be useful in the office sometimes.
New young staff in here would generally regard boozers like The Abercrombie as 'gross, local old men pubs' so, let's face it if it goes, it goes....and we can welcome the next great generation of Mancunians into our new haven of glass stumps, fresh off HS2.........

no one is going to create a mini plaza down a backstreet surrounded by the backs of ugly post war buildings. The only realistic option for significant investment is something on a big scale over the whole site.

but bar the buildings the plans are for an open style plaza but the site will still be surrounded by ugly post war back streets the area isn't suddenly gonna become some go to place because of two brown sky scapers and a few bars in an open square.

Spiningfields is wank as it is souless, where northern qtr and ancoats which has used it's old buildings to great effect has life.

new builds especially tall glass bland ones don't really inspire me, if they had ebem considered the plan to ape the area with some new classical deaign thenaybe it wpuld look ok.

Built it by all means, but not there it won't look right.

The Abercrombe as being linked to one of manchesters most important events should be under protection by the council not tossed aside

Last edited:
How can people possibly start saying we need more "manc" accents in a rapidly expending city. We employ just over 20 staff.

two scousers
two italians
one sardinian
three salfordians
two bolton
one radcliffe
one bristolian
one wiganite
one "true" manc
one surrey
three upstanding cheshirites
one brummie
one lincoln
one leeds
one unknown south east

The cleaner is from the west indies
the windows are done by poles
etc etc etc

my first question at interview is never "are you a manc?"

Keep developing, keep expending - build the clock!

How can people possibly start saying we need more "manc" accents in a rapidly expending city. We employ just over 20 staff.

two scousers
two italians
one sardinian
three salfordians
two bolton
one radcliffe
one bristolian
one wiganite
one "true" manc
one surrey
one brummie
one lincoln
one leeds
one unknown south east

etc etc etc

Nobody said we 'need more mancs' did they?
But...it's coming to something when there are more fans of...
Porto
Arsenal,
Everton
Leeds,
and even Blackburn
than City...
In my office.
But of course I'm fking off anyway, so no mithers!

two scousers
two italians
one sardinian
three salfordians
two bolton
one radcliffe
one bristolian
one wiganite
one "true" manc
one surrey
one brummie
one lincoln
one leeds
one unknown south east

etc etc etc

For the record, I think the correct term for someone from Wigan is not 'Wiganite' it's 'Pie Eater.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.