Referees/Officials

I can remember my first game and being in the Platt Lane as a 10 year old and I was struck by how everyone around me was moaning about the Referee- so not much has changed in 50+ years.
I used to moan about refs. Don't even get angry any more. I don't think the consiously cheat during a game, they're just not fit for purpose.

After the game they'll say and do what Trafford Mike Riley tells them.

Sorry but I believe that's crap. The rule change was nothing to do with RVP. If Aguero is stood in an offside position when Sterling receives the ball, he's not classed as active at that point. If Sterling beats the defender and Aguero is behind the ball when he crosses it, I don't believe he would be flagged offside as play has supposedly entered a different phase. And the assistant definitely did not flag Lallana offside as it was right in line with where I sit and we were all open-mouthed.

I agree.
Lallana was the most obvious example of the current rules I've seen for ages, but lots of centreforwards do it by retreating very slowly.

I'm not sure about the ball needing to go backwards - you just need to be behind the ball when it's played to be onside.

Sorry, that's just not how the offside law works. It's only the last pass that's relevant - if Lallana was in an onside position when the ball was played to him it doesn't matter at all where he was when a previous pass went to someone else unless he attempted to play the ball

I agree, which he was, as a City defender had gone past him, as well as being behind the ball.

I used to moan about refs. Don't even get angry any more. I don't think the consiously cheat during a game, they're just not fit for purpose.

After the game they'll say and do what Trafford Mike Riley tells them.

I disagree, I believe they are a bunch of corrupt cheats

Under your interpretation, Lallana could stand on the penalty spot way behind Citys back line whilst Mane runs down the wing gets in front of Lallana passes it back and Lallana scores - ignoring the fact he was gaining an unfair advantage by standing in an offside position.
Lallana could of course do exactly that, forwards do it all the time. Being in an offside position is completely irrelevant until the ball is played to you.

Unless you are interfering with play. And standing on the penalty spot in front of the keeper is just that in my book. By standing in that spot you change the way the keeper thinks.

I am shocked and stunned - I've just read an article on the MUEN web site (on OUR page) which lists the bad officiating calls we have had, not only this season but in others as well. How the hell did that get past the Red-Eyed editors?

I have a pet theory, based on the idea that refs just guess half the time. I call it 'the random penalty.' If you took every decision where a penalty may or may not have been given and showed the video to a panel of refs (without them knowing the outcome) the panel would vote, without conferring, pen or not. Compare to actual outcome and you could prove mathematically that such decisions were, indeed, random. I'd love to see that happen, but it won't.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.