31 Years Ago Today Full Members Cup Final At Wembley

City_Shirts

31 Years Ago Today.............23rd March 1986.......City travel to Wembley to face Chelsea in the inaugural Full Members Cup Final in London, just 24 hours after drawing 2-2 with Man United at Old Trafford. This much-maligned competition was sponsored by several obscure companies during its relatively brief existence. The Simod Cup, Zenith Data Systems.....Call it what you will but it was the plain old Full Members Cup in 1985/85 when City first tentatively entered and it would be the one and only occasion the trophy registered in the hearts and minds of the Blues support. With English clubs banned from European competition, the FMC hoped to become the third major competition in England, but it was always destined to fail due to lack of prestige. Considered as little more than a joke by most of the football world, Both City and Chelsea progressed through the rounds in front of sparse crowds, until they met at Wembley. Despite the general apathy surrounding the competition, some 68,000 turned out on the day and enjoyed a quite spectacular feast of attaching football that ebbed and flowed in the dramatic traditions befitting both clubs. City went ahead through Mark Lillis but the Pensioners roared back to lead 5-1 and were home and dry as the game ticked towards 90 minutes. Incredibly, City pulled three goals back in the few remaining minutes through Lillis, Steve Kinsey and an own goal and almost scrambled an equaliser, ultimately losing 5-4.

17426396_10154925473575428_665863494301576579_n.jpg

Last edited:
I remember it well - like many, we were on the verge of leaving early (I know I know), but decided to stick it out. What an amazing last few minutes, - what a stupid title for a cup - my member has always been full thank you very much.

Yeah, I was there.......thought we were going to get the equaliser too.......!!! Remember the massive mob of 'Cool Cats/Guvnors' around Wembley before the match

Glad I went, but what a crap competition.

Sounds crazy I know, but I think us City fans were happier after the game. At least we'd salvaged our pride.

I went on a mini bus from Northenden, remember it being a bit moody in the car parks before the game and when we got back to our van it was very kindly lodged on top of a bollard, luckily no damage done and we all lifted it off and away we went. Haha

First time I seen City at Wembley this game I was 6, not the result I was hoping for but a great experience to see such a huge stadium. Didn't realise I'd have to wait such a long time after that game to see them there again! Certainly didn't expect that 2nd time to mean suffering 2 relegations and be in the 3rd tier play off Final!....no wonder I was going grey and bald in my early 30's.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.