Southampton (A) Post Match Thread

He got a touch on the ball 100%

I was watching one of the streams..they showed various angles nd from the side its clear.......(think it was Sport TV 3 or something like that.....foreign commentary...they went over it a few times though i couldn't understand a word they said but the side angle clearly shows the keeper gets a touch enough to change the direction of the ball

Sane also said it wasn't a penalty and didnt appeal....Im not sure if any of the other players did (they may have done...the bench certainly did appeal)
If Forster got a touch, strange how the rotation of the ball didn't change.

Phil Jones disease reaches the South Coast...

_95655637_kompany.jpg

the keeper gets a touch on the ball...small touch but he deflects the ball.....no penalty

Can I draw your attention to penalty we gave away a few weeks ago against Liverpool. Clichy touches the ball, which goes out of reach of Frimino, but then there is contact between them and the ref gives a penalty, despite the fact Frimino was never reaching the ball after the tackle...

Today, while the ball brushes the keepers fingers it doesn't divert the ball away, and his outstretched arm brings Sane down which stops sane scoring. How can you possibly say no penalty??

It also highlights how differently we are reffed, compared to other teams. If that was The rags today, a penalty would have been given and reversely not in the Liverpool incident.

Last edited:
I give Kompany my MOTM coz he's goal won us the game. Otherwise it was a pretty pedestrian performance that opened up after we scored and Southampton tried to attack.

Defensively, we look pretty much the same way we've looked for 2 to 3 months now. We gave up very few chances. Komps played his part but wasn't uniquely special. Gave away a few fouls unnecessarily, rabid dog chased some plays and got lost in the procession, and was also key in standing athletically tall in other areas.

Clichy and Navas were good and Otamendi had one of his stellar games. But that too is normal.

Offensively we were pathetic for the most part. Aguero's control, passing, and decision making were sad for the most part.

Silva, Dihno and Yaya played a lot of Old man football. They all wanted younger legs running around them while they orchestrate from a standing position. All three played stagnant and were the cause of the 1000 passes to nowhere. Silva's final ball was particularly poor today.

Sane might have been the only attacking player moving out there.

Happy with the points, but the performance was underwhelming.

Oh, I still don't think that was a Penalty. I reckon it could have been given though.
Blimey mate, Silva's allowed way more than three passes not reaching the target. Didn't you see all his other inch perfect passes to Sane and Navas ?

Is Sane wrong as well?
Just think about it Simon for one minute.

Even if Forster gets the slightest touch, Leroy would have still got to that ball and slotted it in EXCEPT for Forster taking his legs away. Graham Poll cleared this up from the studio, it's a penalty.

I just got home. One of the best City games I've seen live and one of our best performances of the season IMO. We played some excellent stuff and had the penetration to go with it. Kompany immense, De Bruyne, Otamendi and Navas excellent, Clichy and Aguero very good too. Second goal was sublime. We're one hell of a team when we get going and our counter-attack is second to none.

Vinnie's goal... goosebumps. I will happily pay the price of tickets and travel every day just to feel the sheer joy I felt when that goal went in. I was right in front of him as he celebrated.

Everyone got involved in the passing play too. I've decided I need to stop criticising De Bruyne because he might just be one of those players who usually only plays OK and still gets an assist every two games.

Not sure everyone is understanding the Pep approach - that first 60-70 minutes wears the other team down. It's clinical and beautiful when it clicks.
Also - I agree 100% re: Vincent Kompany. This season would have been so different. Surely he has a massive role still??

I fully understand the approach, but we're quite a way off executing it really well. We can't go through games hoping the other team gets tired after 70 minutes. Pep's style has that in its locker, but it's about exploiting the opposition and their weaknesses and breaking them apart. We occasionally do that and then miss, but we're far too "early Mancini" with our use of the ball, rather than a Pep style imo and we're a way from fully executing Pep's vision imo.

Just think about it Simon for one minute.

Even if Forster gets the slightest touch, Leroy would have still got to that ball and slotted it in EXCEPT for Forster taking his legs away. Graham Poll cleared this up from the studio, it's a penalty.

You are correct.....

Not sure everyone is understanding the Pep approach - that first 60-70 minutes wears the other team down. It's clinical and beautiful when it clicks.
Also - I agree 100% re: Vincent Kompany. This season would have been so different. Surely he has a massive role still??
can you imagine if we had him , jesus and gundogan fit all season .

In all honesty I think we were unlucky not to have at least one by half time, especially if Silva buried his chance; always more difficult when a team puts 10 behind the ball though
Very difficult to open teams up when they play like that. But several times we were in good attacking situations and it looked like a repeat in 2nd half until Kompany scored.
Fullbacks fullbacks fullbacks, two lads in the wide areas really willing to stay outside and attack the byline, releasing the wingers into the box, will make such a difference. Fuck all we can really do until the window opens though...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.