Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome, read you on Cafe, this board would surely benefit from your knowledge of the game.
It's very difficult to explain such simple things to most of fans for whom Aguero is a kind of untouchable 'holy cow'. While he was never a truly team player and has partly lost his physicality that made him so dangerous in Athletico and early City days, he somehow avoids being criticized by the majority here. For example, he's just had an awful game vs Southampton, contributed almost nothing to teamplay and probably was our weakest link once again, yet he's still praised because he scored a meaningless goal.
We would probably still be in the CL had we a better converter of chances.
No doubt he's a club legend that has lifted City on a new heights and deserves all respect, but sentiments aside, getting rid of Aguero would be the most logical step now if we can get someone like Mbappe (which I seriously doubt) or Auba. Besides, this is probably the last summer when we can get a decent fee for him, and his salary is too big for a benchwarmer.

Thanks. It's understandble seeing that he is a club legend. Football is game that evokes emotion so I can understand the reluctance of some fans to see him pushed out so agressively.

The only player that Pep has given any Lee way in his career is Messi and that is because Messi is an all time talent could break blocks with his dribbling and passing, arguably the best finisher in the last decade both inside and outside the box and his decision making was exceptional. He designed Barcelona in his last 2 years to get the best out of Messi. Aguero is not good enough to warrant such a team focus.

Goal scoring is not enough. EVen though Kun has improved he is still lacking massively in terms of what Pep requires. His hold up play is subpar, he gets dispossessed every time he gets the ball with back to goal, when he does manage to turn more often than not he runs with his head down and tries to bulldoze his way through multiple players and loses the ball. The only thing Aguero had going for him was his finishing but he has misses so many chances now for an "elite" striker and takes 3-4 good goal scoring chances before he can get a goal.

He also makes poor decsions with his passing in most games.

His presence puts the team under massive amounts of pressure. the complete lack of assists and chances created is impossible to ignore

Whenever Jesus recovers I think he'll be straight in the starting XI ahead of Agüero just like in January.

I'm hoping the rumours of Sanchez bear fruit as he would fit City like a glove. Mbappe would also fit the way Pep wants his team to play.
I am glad to hear that scoring doesn't matter. What a relief, because it seems like only Aguero and Sane are capable of it. Should we get rid of Sane too? Than we could just pass the ball for 90'. Perhaps Silva would pass it in the net. What a game that would be. That being said, every player has a job to do: Aguero s to score goals, which he does.

Anyone know why he was taken off? If he wasnt injured or completly knackered it was a shambolic decision. And why not bring Nacho for him?

Anyone know why he was taken off? If he wasnt injured or completly knackered it was a shambolic decision. And why not bring Nacho for him?

I agree. I want to know too.

Shocking decision if it was just tactical or based on tiredness.

I think when he went off the other lads felt that they weren't going to win.

Pellegrini sub that,very strange,I couldn't tell whether he was just knackered or a slight knock,or nowt wrong at all !!,he always trudges off the pitch like that when subbed,so hard to tell really

Will get 30 goals for the season and yet seen as a problem in the side. I dread to think where we would be without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.