Sergio Aguero - 2016/17 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looked ok to me. I thought Pellegrini pulled him to milk the applause.
Nope. Felt something in his hamstring, went off, went on international duty with Argentina when he should have pulled out and tore it about 5 minutes into their first game.

Aguero started the season off with a bang he scored 11 goals in 5 out of 6 games, however then he went 22 games scoring only 7 goals having scored only in 5 games out of the 22, which meant he went 17 games not being on the scoreboard, which effected City. Before Jesus arrival he scored 18 goals, but in 10 games out of 28 games going 18 games without being on the scoreboard, which just like the defense effected City results (hence Pep comment in trouble in both boxes). When Jesus came in and showed his stuff and Pep played him as he was on form, I think it hit Aguero and he realized he's not untouchable under Pep, after Jesus got injured Aguero came back, not only did he increases his work rate, but with it the goals came back he has now gone 11 games with 11 goals, in which he has scored in 9 of those games. 5 goals scored against Monaco x2, Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool, so he's averaging a goal in a big game. It's not even about scoring the goals, its generally how he gets his team involved more, hassles defenders, opens space up, moves around and even then he still gets to score. I remember people were saying that if he was to do that then he wouldn't score, his job is to stay in the box etc etc.

I think the problem in this day and age, is that people expect superhuman powers from our players every week.

Whether it's down to FIFA, football manager or Messi & Ronaldo, I don't know. But the expectations are ridiculous.

We all strive for perfection, but it's not possible. Sergio needs to be supported and respected for his ability as one of the world's best strikers.

There are only 2 or 3 players that could come in and deliver what he can, even if he's a yard slower than previous seasons.

When you talk of elite strikers, you say Suarez, Lewanowski and Aguero. These are the very best in the world so replacing a player like Aguero will be extremely difficult and his goal record speaks for itself. Gabriel plays with a different approach but Aguero's qualities are obvious and keeping him should be a priority.

Goal scoring is not enough. EVen though Kun has improved he is still lacking massively in terms of what Pep requires. His hold up play is subpar, he gets dispossessed every time he gets the ball with back to goal, when he does manage to turn more often than not he runs with his head down and tries to bulldoze his way through multiple players and loses the ball. The only thing Aguero had going for him was his finishing but he has misses so many chances now for an "elite" striker and takes 3-4 good goal scoring chances before he can get a goal.

He also makes poor decsions with his passing in most games.

His presence puts the team under massive amounts of pressure. the complete lack of assists and chances created is impossible to ignore

Whenever Jesus recovers I think he'll be straight in the starting XI ahead of Agüero just like in January.

I'm hoping the rumours of Sanchez bear fruit as he would fit City like a glove. Mbappe would also fit the way Pep wants his team to play.

Goal scoring is not enough. EVen though Kun has improved he is still lacking massively in terms of what Pep requires. His hold up play is subpar, he gets dispossessed every time he gets the ball with back to goal, when he does manage to turn more often than not he runs with his head down and tries to bulldoze his way through multiple players and loses the ball. The only thing Aguero had going for him was his finishing but he has misses so many chances now for an "elite" striker and takes 3-4 good goal scoring chances before he can get a goal.

His presence puts the team under massive amounts of pressure. the complete lack of assists and chances created is impossible to ignore

Whenever Jesus recovers I think he'll be straight in the starting XI ahead of Agüero just like in January.

I'm hoping the rumours of Sanchez bear fruit as he would fit City like a glove. Mbappe would also fit the way Pep wants his team to play.

Welcome, read you on Cafe, this board would surely benefit from your knowledge of the game.
It's very difficult to explain such simple things to most of fans for whom Aguero is a kind of untouchable 'holy cow'. While he was never a truly team player and has partly lost his physicality that made him so dangerous in Athletico and early City days, he somehow avoids being criticized by the majority here. For example, he's just had an awful game vs Southampton, contributed almost nothing to teamplay and probably was our weakest link once again, yet he's still praised because he scored a meaningless goal.
We would probably still be in the CL had we a better converter of chances.
No doubt he's a club legend that has lifted City on a new heights and deserves all respect, but sentiments aside, getting rid of Aguero would be the most logical step now if we can get someone like Mbappe (which I seriously doubt) or Auba. Besides, this is probably the last summer when we can get a decent fee for him, and his salary is too big for a benchwarmer.

Last edited:

I think you're spot on, I don't see this massive improvement they Aguero has supposedly made. He's simply scoring goals, but his all round game is weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.