BBC pay reveal

Loads of people can be doctors or surgeons or whatever though. Be lucky enough to be born with a half decent brain, and do a bit of work at school and uni and when training, and there you go, you're a surgeon. What they get paid seems about right to me.

I also don't mind someone like Peter Kay being worth £40m, because he's a genius and not many people can do what he does.

What really winds me up is twats like Shearer getting paid £500,000 a year for talking complete and utter bollocks for 50 minutes for 40 weeks of the year. That is a total disgrace. My 82 year old mother could do that job, and she knows fuck all about football.
Is the correct answer!!

So who is the genius?

The guy who thought up the ad
Or the person who wrote it
Or the person who directed the video
Or the person who edited the clip to make it look like the fat bloke could do Keepy uppy

Or the fat bloke who delivers the lines?

Wish I had a choice with the license fee mate but I dont

If you have ever been to a football match, a gig ,the cinema or watched a tv programme then like the rest of us you have contributed to the coffers of people earning daft money over the likes of a surgeon who is hardly in the poor house. Lineker gets paid well as much for the fact he was a good footballer as opposed to just his decent presentation skills.

People n the entertainment business get daft money because the general public watch them. Why people watch winkleman is a mystery but obviously enough daft fuckers do to make the Beeb think she is worth it.

So who is the genius?

Or the person who edited the clip to make it look like the fat bloke could do Keepy uppy

I just like the ad mate and added it to the thread just to jolly it up a bit.

So who is the genius?

I'd say it was the bloke who holds the Guinness world record for the most people attending a stand up tour ever, in the world. That genius.

I think they really need to consider how integral the presenters are to the show. Some shows are naturally reliant on the personality of the presenters, and so the presenters are well paid as a result. Whereas with others, it's the format of the show that actually creates the success. Radio shows, except Radio 4, rely far more on the personality of the presenter, as we can see in the huge drop off in listeners to the Radio 1 breakfast show since Chris Moyles (for all the stick he got) was replaced with Nick Grimshaw. Similarly, stuff like Top Gear, where the presenter is also the writer and the whole thing has been built around the three presenters, struggles to replace the talent. Have I Got News For You survived Angus Deaton's departure because he was just a bloke reading jokes that other people had written, but if Paul Merton or Ian Hislop ever left, it would be finished. Never Mind the Buzzcocks managed to replace Mark Lamarr by finding a good replacement, but they never survived Simon Amstell leaving the show because he basically made himself indispensable.

But there are far more examples of presenters getting poached when it's actually the format of the show itself that's the reason for its success, like Adrian Chiles to ITV, Richard and Judy to Channel 4, or Des Lynam to ITV. The shows they left all went from strength to strength. I'm astonished Gary Lineker is one of the highest earners, because let's be honest, while he's pretty popular, he's not the reason anyone tunes in. Nobodies refusing to watch MOTD 2 because it's hosted by Mark Chapman instead of Gary Lineker (although perhaps nowadays, having someone with a massive Twitter following does help). There's an argument for the pundits themselves being well-paid because it's necessary to get knowledgeable (haha) ex-footballers on, but there's no reason why the host has to be, as John Barnes proved many times.

As for the gender balance, that is most likely a product of the sexism in society in general. The reality is that fewer people will watch a show hosted by a woman. There was even an interview with the children's laureate a few weeks ago who said that if she writes a book with a female lead character, it won't sell as many copies, because while girls will read books with a male lead, boys won't read books with a female lead (or perhaps parents won't buy books for a boy with a female lead). It is changing though, with some massive hits being hosted by women, like Bake Off and Strictly. But I think it will be quite a few years before it's not a newsworthy point to have even an equal number of women on a TV show.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.