Dunkirk ( the film )

Really enjoyed it as did all my family.

Churchill asked if was possible to save 30 thousand soldiers to be used to defend an invasion of Britain and a total 300 thousand were rescued.
200 thousand were killed.
Estimates I've read are about 3500 allied soldiers killed, 1000 civilians killed and 40000 captured. The Germans mainly used an air attack, but if they'd deployed Panzer divisions, which they chose not too, we'd have seen a very different outcome probably.

I can't wait to see this film, has anyone watched Kajaki, that's a good film based on real life events.
It is rated as the most realistic army/war flick ever.

French journalists are moaning the film doesn't include enough of the French, one writing for French Huffpost even saying it's typically British to be selfish.

I don't recall us moaning at Saving Private Ryan not having a single British person in the film.

Maybe Nolan ran out of budget for white flags?

I'll never forget it. My Granddad Sgt John "Eddie" Hill a Territorial in the Lancashire Fusilliers was captured there - they were left to form the rear guard as the professional full time soldiers got evacuation priority. Five days under mortar fire followed by capture and 5 years a P.O.W. He still had shell shock when he came out and rejoined the GPO post war as a pole erector ( please folks ) - post war he was awarded the bronze star by the Americans as he had been instrumental in bribing guards to get radio equipment to help the American P.O.W.'s and he was a member of the Dunkirk Veterans Association until the day he died. I have everything to remember and everything to be proud of in that five foot three inch superman. he was a fantastic Granddad too.

My Grandad Ernest Podmore RIP lancashire Fusilliers was also there.

Looking forwards to seeing the film.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.