Sunday football teams, now gone....

Played from 18 to 40 years old, Sunday morning football was brilliant loved it Longdendale League for St Peter & Paul league doesn't exist anymore, Birch Villa New Inn, Newboro, Tame Valley and a few others in Hyde and District League,Most of pubs still open but don't think any of them still have a team, sad really.
Newboro is a offy New Inn is going to be a day nursery and i was having a few sociable ones in the Tame Valley last Saturday dinner and you might get a decent walk footie team out of em :)

There's a pattern here somewhere...

July 2014
I debated making a comeback this season at the ripe old age of 38 after some serious weight loss but can't spare the time to be honest just going to play 5 a side. Played for the four in hand for years, the brewers in lady barn, ash lands in the altrincham league, the Nelson in didsbury and the Fletcher moss in the wythenshaw league Many happy days !!!

July 2016
I keep debating if I should have one last go at Sunday league before I am too old. Lost quite a bit of weight this year and have got a bit fitter. Started playing 5 a side again and maybe looking for an over 35s team. Anyone know any?

July 2017
Keep thinking to myself could I play again at the ripe old age of 41 and 15 stone! Does anyone need a right back for a Sunday team for the upcoming season. Played at a very decent level for nearly 20 years and fancy one last try!

;-)

There's a pattern here somewhere...

July 2014

July 2016

July 2017

;-)

Haha! Just need someone to take me on! Been playing 5 a side and getting fitter. Happy to be sub and play a few minutes here and there. All offers accepted! Might be saying this again next year!!!

Newboro is a offy New Inn is going to be a day nursery and i was having a few sociable ones in the Tame Valley last Saturday dinner and you might get a decent walk footie team out of em :)
20 years ago we had two decent teams running out of the Valley sad ain't it. Think the New Inn's planing for a nurseries been turned down God knows what they'll do with that now.

Last edited:
20 years ago we had two decent teams running out of the Valley sad ain't it. Think the New Inn's planing for a nurseries been turned down God knows what they'll do with that now.

Think my Uncle Brian had it back then. I played a couple of seasons with the Lodge (we never won a game :))

Our kid was the footballer, played for The globe and The Hallbottom in Newton amongst others.

I've been involved in amateur football for 35 years. I first played for PZ in the City of Manchester Sunday League. Games kicked off (in both senses of the phrase) in the afternoon, and most players had come straight from the pub. I remember playing Parrs Wood, who had a good player called Paul Kirby, who was a year or two above me in junior school. I scored within 10 seconds of the start of that game.

Shortly after, I started my first team - PTL. We played in the Altrincham League, and also the Manchester Saturday Morning League, which I helped to set up, and is still running. I recall Ben Arthurs (RIP) was one of our referees. His son was in Oasis. I started another team from the church I attended in Brooklands, so in my late teens I played Saturday morning and afternoon, and Sunday afternoon. I had a short spell with Whalley Range in the Lancs Amateur League as well, and also played for my works team in the Nalgo Cup.

I ended up as secretary for two teams simultaneously, as well as league secretary, and by the age of 30 I had started refereeing. I used to do my own league on Saturday mornings, plus the Manchester Amateur League, the Manchester League, the Manchester Wednesday League, the Lancs and Cheshire, and the Lancashire League. I eventually progressed to the Unibond League as a linesman. I remember one idiot in a game in Bury, being sent off for hitting an opponent. He ran back on the pitch 15 minutes later with a bottle, attacking the lad he had previously hit. During this time I assisted Jeff Winter, Uriah Rennie, was fourth official at Preston, Old Trafford, and the highlight was to run a line at Maine Road, where I met Francis Lee.

I still play the occasional 7-a-side game at work, and I play every week 11-a-side on an outdoor 3G pitch. I dropped refereeing, but have been secretary of my local junior club for the last 10 years, and I am one of the fixtures secretaries for the Warrington Junior League, which is the largest league in the country, with around 80 clubs and probably more than 700 teams. I tried to relinquish the secretary job at our recent AGM, but nobody stepped forward to take over, so I am still fulfilling this role. It is quite an onerous job running a club with 20 teams and unfortunately, there seems to be fewer and fewer administrators willing to help out in these essential roles. Our job is not made any easier by the FA, who insist each team must have a qualified coach and qualified medic all trained by them. We have a couple of doctors helping out with our teams, but their qualifications do not permit them to oversee their teams unless they have been on the FA course.

The FA blueprint for the future of our game sees teams progress from Under 7s for 2 years at each format of 5v5, then 7v7, then 9v9, and from Under 13s 11-a-side. This has closed many clubs down as they cannot afford to buy extra equipment for all these formats, and cannot attract or afford the extra coaches required following the downsizing of the squads at the lower ages.

Yes, adult football is declining. Junior football is flourishing though, despite the difficulties.

What a top post. Good on you mate :)

I keep debating if I should have one last go at Sunday league before I am too old. Lost quite a bit of weight this year and have got a bit fitter. Started playing 5 a side again and maybe looking for an over 35s team. Anyone know any?

Where do you play 5 a side mate? I'm interested in re-lauching my career after 3/4 years out.

Where do you play 5 a side mate? I'm interested in re-lauching my career after 3/4 years out.

I play every Monday night 7 until 8 at the soccer dome - mixed ages from 20s to 50s - you are more than welcome along mate!

I think I will organise a blue moon 5 a side game over the winter.

Think my Uncle Brian had it back then. I played a couple of seasons with the Lodge (we never won a game :))

Our kid was the footballer, played for The globe and The Hallbottom in Newton amongst others.
Hilly ran team at New Inn then obviously we followed him down to Valley because the after game food was top, know Brian well don't see him as much as I use to though. I do remember Lodge having a particularly bad outfit along with the forresters.

Hilly ran team at New Inn then obviously we followed him down to Valley because the after game food was top, know Brian well don't see him as much as I use to though. I do remember Lodge having a particularly bad outfit along with the forresters.
Our Was that Steve or Keith, I seem to remember our Razor getting dragged in, pretty sure big john and Dobbins too

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.