Media Thread 2017/18

Status
Not open for further replies.
See this is where I do not understand the argument. Its written time and time again its all about click bait so why would the Sun try to appeal to Liverpool fans when its well known they have boycotted the paper? It would make no sense.

I appreciate most on here view it through the City prism, personally I think the press such as the Sun and the rest of the gutterpress are low life garbage and treat everyone with disdain when it suits them.

You say Koeman has 'probably' blasted Rooney. If you cannot evidence that through the content of the article then its a fabrication just like man up was about Sterling. What makes Coutinho a rebel?

We have seen the press at work this week hounding the rooney and whatever we think of him his wife and kids do not deserve being chased/followed by the press in car. It speaks volumes about the press for me.

You are assuming (incorrectly IMO) that the Scousers are the only possible target audience for clickbait when it comes to Sterling. I would submit that the booing he got at places like Turf Moor last season tells a different story.
I would also contend that The Sun is so monumentally deluded and full of its own importance that it might genuinely believe it can build tentative bridges with the Scouse community. Also the readerships of these papers are global and the dippers have gazillions of fans across the world. It might be that a significant percentage of them are sufficiently remote from actual Liverpudlian hatred of The Sun, as to be broadly ignorant of it.
Also, comparing the press hounding of Rooney to anything involving Sterling is surely a redundant move from the start. Shrek has shagged grannies and hookers (twice) now whilst his heavily pregnant wife sat at home with her swollen ankles, and has now added driving whilst pissed out of his tree to his rap sheet. Sterling's only crimes were possession of a pair of gold plated taps and eating at Gregg's

Last edited:
Match of the Day were fairly reasonable there.

I agree. I think it's a generation thing. As a keeper I would expect a forward to go for a ball like that, and although I think he's horrible I agree with shearer, I'd want my forward to go for it. That said they changed the rules and by today's (unnecessary) over protective anti tackling / challenging rules it was rightly a sending off. I don't agree with it, but I'm old. That said I didn't think walker or scneiderlins were sendings off either.

I agree. I think it's a generation thing. As a keeper I would expect a forward to go for a ball like that, and although I think he's horrible I agree with shearer, I'd want my forward to go for it. That said they changed the rules and by today's (unnecessary) over protective anti tackling / challenging rules it was rightly a sending off. I don't agree with it, but I'm old. That said I didn't think walker or scneiderlins were sendings off either.
Tbh I don't get why it was ever ok. Kicking people in the head just seems like something that shouldn't be happening.

I know what they said about "intent" but it's crazy that deliberately kicking someone's shin is worse than accidentally kicking someone in the head in their minds.

Like you I'm old mate. I hate the fact that tackling has been taken out of the game. But almost taking someones head off was never fair tackling. Ever.

Tbh I don't get why it was ever ok. Kicking people in the head just seems like something that shouldn't be happening.

I know what they said about "intent" but it's crazy that deliberately kicking someone's shin is worse than accidentally kicking someone in the head in their minds.
It would have been easier and more truthful if they just said that they were shithouses, so were fully in favour of challenging for head high balls with their studs. Exact same people were moaning about De Jong not being sent off in the WC final when his one on Xabi Alonso wasn't half as bad as Mane's.

Watching it on Sky today, I got the impression that Neville effectively dug himself a hole and then didn't want to admit he was wrong and so stuck to his guns. His tone changed after the replay and you could tell he wasn't sure anymore.

I do think it's dangerous for pundits to do that though. Any challenge that has the potential to cause serious injury to an opponent is and always has been a red card regardless of intent. Yes, for Mane, I understand why he went for it and don't overly begrudge him doing it, but at the same time there has to be a consequence to taking the risk.

The two main stories should be how clinical we were in the second half (I do think we look better any time we score first and early though as it enables us to play far more naturally) and how easily Liverpool capitulated with ten men.

Like you I'm old mate. I hate the fact that tackling has been taken out of the game. But almost taking someones head off was never fair tackling. Ever.

I hear what you say, but going for the ball was always priority. For the ball, not the man being the point. If you got the ball first it wasn't a foul. Things have changed, interpretations have changed. Remember this (mirror image of today) from 1982

I hear what you say, but going for the ball was always priority. For the ball, not the man being the point. If you got the ball first it wasn't a foul. Things have changed, interpretations have changed. Remember this (mirror image of today) from 1982

I do remember it but dont see the relevance. Also there was no contact with the ball today was there ? Havent seen all the replays but from what i saw at the time it was just boot to head. I honestly think it would have been as straight a red 20 years ago as it was today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.