Who is the best City goalkeeper in history?

One thing is for sure city have had some great goalkeepers over the decades, personally I think we have had more top class keepers than any other team.

Tony Coton. Obviously have to discount Swift and Trautmann as I'm a young whippersnapper.

My dad would say any of Trautman, Dowd or Corrigan, but I never saw any of them live so for me it has to be TC in my lifetime.

I also liked but not necessarally our top 3 best keepers

Paul Cooper
Alex Williams
Big Willy Cabalero
Andy Dibble
Hart
and just for the touchline budgie.

But Trautman would have to be considered our greatest though

Didn't see enough of TC and I was a touch too young, but Joe Hart is and was seriously over rated. Weak to his left, terrible distribution, average at best on crosses, slow off his line... but world class at shot stopping and brilliant on one on ones. It's probably someone before my time but Ederson has started on fire in spells for a keeper so young, hopefully he kicks on unlike Hart. When he came back from Brum he stopped progressing and I feel his weaknesses never improved.

From what I have read about Trautmann, I would put him at number 1. Legendary status and story is just amazing

I cant separate Barry Siddall or Mike Stowell, but on a serious note in my life time big Joe or TC, with a special mention the Welsh Errol Flynn, Andy Dibble.

But only cos then all would have come at a far slower speed - the ball being a lot heavier and far less aero dynamic. His lack of fitness and access to modern training techniques would mean he wouldn't get close to any of the decent shots that are fired in today
Yes, the game is quite different now, but you have to measure people in their own era and then say , for example, was he a 10, a 6 or a 2 ? Trautmann was an 8, say, and my old foggies would say Swift was a 9. IMO, none of the moderns was higher than a 7, judged by the standards of the time. Eddie could be a 9. But, I agree, you can argue this for ever....that's what makes it fun.
P.S. The heavy ball was harder to save physically. Gordon Banks had no bones in his fingers at the end of his career, just a mush...I've seen the X rays.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.