Who is the best City goalkeeper in history?

Joe Hart would probably be better than Swift and Trautmann together because modern technology / fitness regimes / training methods etc etc mean he would be head and shoulders (no pun) better if there was a "time machine" where they all played at the same time. Same could be said, to a lesser degree for Tony Coton. However if the question was transposed to "all born on the same day with access to same opportunities who would be the best it may be totally different. However as it's not, then Joe Hart all day long followed by TC followed by Joe Corrigan (not including people like James or the Utd one cos they weren't here long enough)
But Trautmann could save shots low down to his right AND left.

I don't think you can compare players from different era's,they are all of their time and were in the right place at the right time,joe was great but his time had ended,eddie looks to be the right 1 for where we are going,i'm really really pleased about him

Never saw Trautman or Swift, so really cant give my personal opinion on these 2.

In my lifetime its Big Joe, with honorable mentions to TC and Alex Williams!

Never saw Swift, but Trautmann was my hero. He could CATCH the ball one handed with either hand. I think I might have seen him catch it in his teeth a time or two as well!

Bert Trautmann. Can't say if technically the best ever but he's definitely the greatest as a package. Huge positive impact when everybody was anti-German after WW2, plus playing on with a broken neck was the stuff of legends. (And he personally signed my programme from his testimonial match.)

Top man.

Last edited:
A few really good keepers in my time including Hart and TC but for me Big Joe Corrigan

Big Joe had to win the fans round and got dogs abuse but he turned it round big time

Bert and Frank will probably be best overall but for what I have seen in real life Big Joe

Feel this may change with Eddy Son

But Trautmann could save shots low down to his right AND left.
But only cos then all would have come at a far slower speed - the ball being a lot heavier and far less aero dynamic. His lack of fitness and access to modern training techniques would mean he wouldn't get close to any of the decent shots that are fired in today

But only cos then all would have come at a far slower speed - the ball being a lot heavier and far less aero dynamic. His lack of fitness and access to modern training techniques would mean he wouldn't get close to any of the decent shots that are fired in today

That's purely hypothetical No justification or validation whatsoever.

You might as well say Fangio was a shit racing driver because cars were much slower in his time. Or Muhamad Ali was just a flabby pub bruiser.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.