Alexis Sanchez

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think anyone disputes how good he's been in the past, but his current form / attributes will be scrutinised if he's linked to us. It's very difficult to say how much of his current lack of form is down to discontent, and how much is down to ageing.

We both know each other's point of view by now. I'd rather wait until we have news, or he plays a game before commenting every 5 minutes because surely we've said all that's to be said on the matter. I don't want to ignore your comments, but at the same time it must be a bit irritating to other members to read the same people saying the same thing over and over again.
I think what is baffling everyone is this 'Loss of form' over the last 8 weeks, whilst no consideration being given to the extenuating circumstances the player currently finds himself in.

Also no consideration seems to be given to the fact one of the world's greatest living managers who knows Sanchez, wants Sanchez. When trusting Pep's judgement has been mentioned, we've had other Sanchez Naysayers quoting the 'signing errors' Guardiola has made with Bravo & Nolito???????

I really am trying to see this from an opposing point of view, but the reason I keep responding is because the naysayers are saying all this based on no factual data whatsoever. I get this is just your 'opinion', but can you really not see what the opposing fans are saying in no way, shape or form?

Last edited:
Jesus had plenty of pace still , what he lacked was any goal threat or a decent final ball, he was also playing with much slower full backs.
When I have seen Sanchez play he is predominantly an inverted winger and comes in onto his right foot, I think he would be more effective with Mendy than Delph to back him up as Delph does not giveuh the same natural width but I suspect we will be getting another left back if possible in the window.
Agree he has some pace. But his strength lies more in his skill, toughness and aggression. Sanchez is an older version of that. This is not a bad thing. He is WC. Just saying that Sterlng and Sane bring a different level of pace even if they are not overall as talented as Sanchez.

To that effect, players like the Brazilian Malcolm the Portuguese Martins, Coman and controversially Rashford will be better fits as the 3rd winger than say Sanchez.

Even though Sanchez will wipe the floor with any of the above talent wise.

Simply all I was saying :) But maybe Pep wants something different and other than pace on the outside to make us 1, even less defendable, and 2 more unpredictable and adaptable.

A good example will be the total difference in style btw Delph and Mendy, yet both are differently effective. So maybe this will work similarly.

I don't think anyone disputes how good he's been in the past, but his current form / attributes will be scrutinised if he's linked to us. It's very difficult to say how much of his current lack of form is down to discontent, and how much is down to ageing.

We both know each other's point of view by now. I'd rather wait until we have news, or he plays a game before commenting every 5 minutes because surely we've said all that's to be said on the matter. I don't want to ignore your comments, but at the same time it must be a bit irritating to other members to read the same people saying the same thing over and over again.
Nah cuz. I quite enjoy reading spirited debates :)

Whilst I understand that forums are about discussion I am happy to adopt the view that if Pep wants Alexis then that is just fine and dandy with me !

Because the bottom line is Pep is The Man !

The Rodney Marsh signing of 1972 was totally different than the potential signing up of Sanchez. Marsh was the star turn of a small London club whereas City were in pole position for the title with a team ethic rather than a collection of individuals. And he was totally unfit for good measure. We might as well have started our remaining fixtures with 10 men without Marsh, such as his negative effect brought us. Sanchez is totally different, a world class talent who has won major trophies, is fit, and is trusted by Pep. Get him here.

The Rodney Marsh signing of 1972 was totally different than the potential signing up of Sanchez. Marsh was the star turn of a small London club whereas City were in pole position for the title with a team ethic rather than a collection of individuals. And he was totally unfit for good measure. We might as well have started our remaining fixtures with 10 men without Marsh, such as his negative effect brought us. Sanchez is totally different, a world class talent who has won major trophies, is fit, and is trusted by Pep. Get him here.
I say leave it as it is were going along fine, to many chefs and all that

Big Mal wanted Marsh at City because he thought he would give us the "Best factor" and give us the dominant position in Manchester. The weakness of this view was that for the last four years United had been on an accelerating spiral of decline which would lead to relegation in 1974 and City were already a far superior team. Joe Mercer was against the deal because he thought Marsh was not a player who would fit into our style of play (he wished to keep the much less flamboyant Tony Towers) and Marsh was a player who had lost any real pace when he had broken his leg. The show business effect of the transfer seemed to have worked when 53000 turned up to watch his debut but this effect soon wore off as City's title challenge began to splutter, largely due to Marsh. It came to an end effectively over Easter when City lost twice. They resembled a high end sports car running on the wrong fuel because Franny and Buzzer were making their 30 yard runs but Marsh was holding the ball, unlike Colin Bell who released it quickly to find them. Too many attacks came to nothing as Franny and Buzzer were left to make frustrated gestures wondering why the ball had not been played forwards. So it doesn't seem that Sanchez would have anything like that effect. Marsh was, as you point out, a disaster and Tony Book marginalised and finally got rid of him.

But we're not at our limit - Bernardo is not featuring much, and I we'll have to agree to disagree about whether Sanchez matches Sane/Sterling etc. He did. In fact he was perhaps the pre-eminent wide forward in the Premiership, but I think our players surpass him now.

We can see how he's playing now, although I concede that it is difficult to say how much is down to discontent, and how much is down to 'ageing', if any at all.

I refer you to Dax777's post from earlier today. He put it very well I thought.

I don't think we need another wide forward, but if we do, there are players at PSG who I think are available who I would take ahead of Sanchez. Loucas Moura for example. He is reportedly being offered to Premiership clubs. Daily Mail reported that Chelsea would consider selling Willian to get him. Of course could all be paper talk, but does suggest that there are alternatives if you do think we need another forward.

Can't really add anything that hasn't already been said before to be honest. I am just watching the news, and his performances and seeing how the story develops.

If you would rather have Lucas Moura over Alexis Sanchez, you seriously need to give your head a wobble.

Contrary to popular opinion, I do agree with Marvin and others that Sanchez, as talented as he is, do not meet the explosiveness requirements of our wingers. He is more an older Jesus in style than he is Sterling or Sane.

We need on our wing a level of explosiveness and speed neither Sanchez nor Bernado possess.

Bernado and Sanchez could play there but we will be less effective. However, perhaps being optimally effective cannot be expected.

So in conclusion, if Pep wants him, get him. :)

Explosive requirements?

Sanchez is hardly no slouch is he? I would argue that he is more mobile than Sterling as well, that is because he has a much quicker speed of thought. Take Sterling for instance v Arsenal, he misplaced a few passes against them in the crucial moments of that game, now if that was Sanchez, the game would have been all but wrapped up by half time. His productivity and ruthlessness in front of goal is the key for Pep. It is an absolute no brainer.

Just to argue the case against anyone not wanting Alexis Sanchez...

Premier League

14/15 season
34 games
16 goals
8 assists
8 Man of the match awards
7.81 Average Rating

15/16 season
28 games
13 goals
4 assists
6 Man of the match awards
7.72 Average Rating

16/17 season
36 games
24 goals
10 assists
10 man of the match awards
7.76 Average Rating

Anyone arguing that we shouldn't sign him, do yourselves a favour and go and research how other top premier league players match up to these figures. Go and have a look at how Hazard's stats stand up against Alexis' stats. I guarantee you that he will be absolutely NOWHERE near. What is also the most impressive part about these figures above is, the amount of times he won man of the match in each of his 3 seasons at Arsenal. This shows that he has GENUINE star quality and isn't just a stat pad merchant like Mezut Ozil. His presence on a field is infectious when he is at full flow. A player of this quality in our squad will only make us stronger, absolutely no doubt about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.