Rainbow laces campaign

It would be interesting to see if some even had a thread on it, as for paedophiles I've always thought it being the age of the victim rather than the sex that was the prime motivator, someone like Zin could probably shed light on this
Exactly. Barry Bennell wasn't gay, he was attracted to kids. The suggestion that repressed homosexuality turns gay men into paedophiles is plainly wrong on so many levels.

‎⁦‪@HHMansoor‬⁩ ⁦‪@beINSPORTS_news‬⁩ Sheikh Mansour remember Sodomites and how revenge Allah, how your club supports these psychopaths (LGBT) Allah will judge you on that "who like to immorality in those who believe in them a painful torment in this world and in the hereafter, ۚ"

Worst thing post takeover is fucks like his in the UAE that “support” us. Backward fucking inbred arseholes.

Damn it. Seriously, last year I bought a very expensive pair of shoes in which you insert 4 laces of 2 different colours. I thought I was making a fashion statement and had not seen anyone else wearing them. Now everyone is going to have something that looks the same!

The rainbow laces is an annual reminder of just how prevalent homophobia is in the global Premier League audience. The replies to City's tweet of support earlier today are as depressing as ever, although it's by no means specific to us. At least it serves as a reminder for why campaigns like this are so important.

As a gay fan, it depresses me seeing some of the reactions to this campaign. Those who think there is no issue with homophobia (and racism for that matter) in football have their heads buried in the sand. I wouldn't say this is a regular thing, but I've heard homophobic comments shouted at both home and away players several times a season since I can remember - only on Tuesday did a fella next to me shout at Bernardo Silva to "not be such a poofter" when he went down easily and then looked at the referee for sympathy. Last season, I started challenging the fans in question if I knew where it came from or reporting incidents to the club if not - one shouted at Sterling because of the way he runs, one shouted at the referee for not giving a free kick (which was, at best, a dubious decision anyway), and one at an opponent who stayed down and needed treatment.

It's funny that I've also heard the odd racist comment from the stands and they've been challenged by four or five others almost immediately. Nothing is said to those making homophobic comments.

For me, for rainbow laces to work, I think they need to be compulsory - with the players given the option to opt out. That way, if they don't want to take part, they have to actively make the choice to, rather than being able to hide behind not knowing about the campaign or forgetting or whatever. If they want to give a reason, they can. If they don't, they don't have to.

Football is exactly the place to challenge attitudes because football continues to prove itself in need of having those attitudes challenged.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.