Pablo Maffeo - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah. I like Zinchenko but I both don't think he's a very good LB and that the position hinders him from playing his best stuff. I'd have him in the squad as an attacking utility player.

I think the senior squad should be made up of the following:
2 GK, 4 FB, 4 CB, 2 DM, 4 AM, 5 FWD = 21 players + defensive utility + attacking utility, leaving some room from a 25 man squad for youth players to get a chance.

With our current players, I'd have that as: Ederson, Bravo/Walker, Mendy, Danilo, Maffeo/Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Kompany/Fernandinho, Toure/De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo/Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, ???/Delph/Zinchenko, with the guys in italics likely to be considered in the summer (potentially Gunn, Fred and Mahrez, say).
I agree with your Number break down. Just not on all the players. But definitely want Maffeo back. And I'd rather have a leftie play leftback.

As for Zee, I think his chances of success as a Midfielder for us are slim. He'd be just good. An inferior mix of Kev and Dave. But he has world class potential at LB in our system or Napoli's.

I agree with your Number break down. Just not on all the players. But definitely want Maffeo back. And I'd rather have a leftie play leftback.

As for Zee, I think his chances of success as a Midfielder for us are slim. He'd be just good. An inferior mix of Kev and Dave. But he has world class potential at LB in our system or Napoli's.

World Class LB potential is incredibly kind! Really like the lad and he's been good but far far from exceptional

I think there is room for Maffeo and Danilo, Danilo is a quality player who can cover a number of positions whilst Maffeo would get at least 15 games a season (all comps) giving Walker a rest. Our squad is too small as it is so I think its senseless to think we shouldn't bring him back in the summer

World Class LB potential is incredibly kind! Really like the lad and he's been good but far far from exceptional
Yes. But you don't have to be exceptional to have World Class potential. Marcelo at Madrid was awful his 1st year but had WC potential. He was beyond useless as a defender, yet his skill and movement suggested WC potential at the position.

Zee has not even been bad talk less awful. Frankly he has been as good or better than half the league's leftbacks defensively. And that's is supposed to be his weak point.

Add that to his possessional strengths, technique, touch, decision making, and movement, and the potential as a WC leftback is easy to project.

Also, it is worth s repeating - We are infinitely harder to press when Zee plays leftback. The consequences of that point should not be taken lightly. But unfortunately too many do.

Yes. But you don't have to be exceptional to have World Class potential. Marcelo at Madrid was awful his 1st year but had WC potential. He was beyond useless as a defender, yet his skill and movement suggested WC potential at the position.

Zee has not even been bad talk less awful. Frankly he has been as good or better than half the league's leftbacks defensively. And that's is supposed to be his weak point.

Add that to his possessional strengths, technique, touch, decision making, and movement, and the potential as a WC leftback is easy to project.

Also, it is worth s repeating - We are infinitely harder to press when Zee plays leftback. The consequences of that point should not be taken lightly. But unfortunately too many do.
Zinchenko is very neat in possession and has plenty of time to improve his defensive capabilities but most world class fullbacks in recent years have a speed and athleticism which I don't think Zinchenko really possesses and that's not something you can really develop much it's mainly on the genes.

Zinchenko is very neat in possession and has plenty of time to improve his defensive capabilities but most world class fullbacks in recent years have a speed and athleticism which I don't think Zinchenko really possesses and that's not something you can really develop much it's mainly on the genes.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t think @Dax777 is all that prone to putting on the blue tints but I think he’s vastly overrating OZ here and I’m an OZ fan.

The bolded part is huge for what we’re building and OZ doesn’t have that. On at least 3-6 occasions he’s been beaten badly and we’ve been torched on counters where he couldn’t recover fast enough (almost seemed lethargic while gettin back on those occasions). I’m not an expert on defensive positioning so I can’t comment on how much that’s on him. I think we should keep him around for another season and then reevaluate.

Actually, some do, some don't.
Juan Fran, Azpilicueta, Lahm, Carvahal, Pab Zab, Lucas Pitzchek, Ivanovic, Alonso to name a few who weren't particularly fast, but very good.

Don't let the exciting Alaba, Alba, Marcelo brand of fullback fool you into thinking that is the norm. It isn't. And this myth that Zichencko is uniquely unathletic or slow will die eventually.

He is neither slow nor unathletic. He is of averagely decent speed and athleticism. Somewhere between Filipe Luis and Pab Zab.

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t think @Dax777 is all that prone to putting on the blue tints but I think he’s vastly overrating OZ here and I’m an OZ fan.

The bolded part is huge for what we’re building and OZ doesn’t have that. On at least 3-6 occasions he’s been beaten badly and we’ve been torched on counters where he couldn’t recover fast enough (almost seemed lethargic while gettin back on those occasions). I’m not an expert on defensive positioning so I can’t comment on how much that’s on him. I think we should keep him around for another season and then reevaluate.
I have faith in his potential, so I'd agree let's keep him for another season an revaluate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.