Pablo Maffeo - 2017/2018 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, but Walker's backup right now is Danilo. Maffeo isn't good enough to warrant Danilo's sale and huge financial loss that it would cause. And the team doesn't need 3 right backs.

Is Danilo better than Maffeo? Will Danilo want to stay at the club after this season?

Is Danilo better than Maffeo? Will Danilo want to stay at the club after this season?
Defensive-wise, I don't think there's much difference between them. But Danilo is a better attacking fullback - I actually think he's better than Walker in this respect. Besides, he's taller and can give some advantage at set-pieces. So, there's no real need to change one for another.

Financial aspect: think it would be very difficult to recuperate £27m paid for Danilo, and such sale would put all the sum into this year's books, hindering summer transfer activity. Besides, Maffeo's sale would generate some revenue.

As for Danilo's personal plans, I don't know any facts so won't speculate. Pep was hinting to unhappiness of some backup players, no idea if Danilo is one of them. So, if he's happy with a back up role, I guess he'll stay. If not....well, then we can talk about Maffeo.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong ofc.

Sounds like we need him to renew his contract first, then a loan to a premier league club would be the next step.

He won't be at Girona next season anyway. Only 1 year left on his contract, I feel City will cash in.
He's good, but not good enough, personally don't see worldclass talent in him. And too much money were invested in Danilo.
I don't understand this Andrew. He has enough talent to suggest he could be better than Danilo (and that's me being very cautious). For me all the arguments lean towards Pablo and away from Danilo.

Yes, I agree he might not be as good as Danilo attacking, neither is Walker. But I think he already is better defensively. He is 6 years younger, cost nothing and is also a great marketing tool for the academy. He definitely should be kept.

Danilo we can sell at a discount. Someone will pay 25 million for his services. He wants to be a starter and hasn't been able to at 2 top clubs, I reckon he'd step down to a Dortmund, Valencia, Lazio or Porto type level to be a starter.

Maffeo shows too much potential and is too much of an opportunity to flounder in my opinion.

For that reason I really hope it's a 1 and done for Danilo. Hopefully win a few cups and the thanks of a grateful fanbase.

But the Maffeo era should commence next season. I for one, hope it does.

Don't see any reason why Danilo can't stick around as a back up LB with Delph essentially taking Toure's role in the squad as a DM understudy.

That said, Maffeo isn't significantly worse than Danilo by any stretch, and him being club trained allows us more flexibility with other signings. No brainer for me if we don't have room for both.

I don't understand this Andrew. He has enough talent to suggest he could be better than Danilo (and that's me being very cautious). For me all the arguments lean towards Pablo and away from Danilo.

Yes, I agree he might not be as good as Danilo attacking, neither is Walker. But I think he already is better defensively. He is 6 years younger, cost nothing and is also a great marketing tool for the academy. He definitely should be kept.

Danilo we can sell at a discount. Someone will pay 25 million for his services. He wants to be a starter and hasn't been able to at 2 top clubs, I reckon he'd step down to a Dortmund, Valencia, Lazio or Porto type level to be a starter.

Maffeo shows too much potential and is too much of an opportunity to flounder in my opinion.

For that reason I really hope it's a 1 and done for Danilo. Hopefully win a few cups and the thanks of a grateful fanbase.

But the Maffeo era should commence next season. I for one, hope it does.

Some people seem preconditioned to sell any kid no matter if they could play for us or not.

There aren't many 20 year old RBs better than Maffeo out there, hence why Atletico and Real are sniffing around.

Don't see any reason why Danilo can't stick around as a back up LB with Delph essentially taking Toure's role in the squad as a DM understudy.

That said, Maffeo isn't significantly worse than Danilo by any stretch, and him being club trained allows us more flexibility with other signings. No brainer for me if we don't have room for both.
My man Zee has that on lock :)

My man Zee has that on lock :)

Nah. I like Zinchenko but I both don't think he's a very good LB and that the position hinders him from playing his best stuff. I'd have him in the squad as an attacking utility player.

I think the senior squad should be made up of the following:
2 GK, 4 FB, 4 CB, 2 DM, 4 AM, 5 FWD = 21 players + defensive utility + attacking utility, leaving some room from a 25 man squad for youth players to get a chance.

With our current players, I'd have that as: Ederson, Bravo/Walker, Mendy, Danilo, Maffeo/Laporte, Otamendi, Stones, Kompany/Fernandinho, Toure/De Bruyne, Silva, Gundogan, Bernardo/Aguero, Jesus, Sterling, Sane, ???/Delph/Zinchenko, with the guys in italics likely to be considered in the summer (potentially Gunn, Fred and Mahrez, say).

Some people seem preconditioned to sell any kid no matter if they could play for us or not.

There aren't many 20 year old RBs better than Maffeo out there, hence why Atletico and Real are sniffing around.
Spot on. I have been watching several Girona games and I have been very impressed about him. Very quick, skillful and a great defender. Don't think Danilo is very happy about being second choice RB and third/fourth choice LB. It would be great to see an academy graduate make our first team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.