FC Basel V Manchester City - Post-Match Thread

What is your opinion of our defensive performance tonight ?

We should have conceded a penalty and were suspect in 3 or 4 other situations where better teams would have punished us. Those are the fine margins in this competition.

Your thoughts ?

Here's my opinion: they scored zero goals.

What's your opinion -- if we'd been better, they would have scored negative 2?

FFS. Shoulda, woulda, coulda -- you sound like Arsene Wenger.

It's ridiculous.

We should have conceded a penalty and the defence was suspect on several occasions and could have been punished and probably would have been against better opposition.

I'm a little perplexed why that opinion is ridiculed when it is in no way taking away from a great result.
We play like that most games all season. We give opponents chances but only lost 1 game in prem. They had 3 shots on target we had 8 . Do you only count opponents chances and not ours. Would you think better result was 8-3.???

What is your opinion of our defensive performance tonight ?

We should have conceded a penalty and were suspect in 3 or 4 other situations where better teams would have punished us. Those are the fine margins in this competition.

Your thoughts ?

We should have conceded a penalty, but other than that, I can’t remember to many chances they should have put away. The ball over the top early on was a bit shaky and Edersons save from close range in the second half. That’s about it. Not bad for a last 16 tie against a side that has got a good record against English sides. We should have scored a few more, but I’ll forget about that considering we’ve just won 4-0 away from home in Europe. Otamendi didn’t have the best of games tonight, he’s looked a bit off for a while now. We’ve got a good record against all the big teams this season, apart from losing at Anfield. Even if that was a European knockout game, 4-3 would be a good result away from Home. I’m not worried about anyone in this competition this season, teams should be worried about us.

Give it a fucking rest will ya.

We’ve had a period of games every 3 days with several of our first team players unavailable, we’ve got a busy schedule ahead and the players who have been available are physically and mentally fucked. At 4-0 they’re allowed to switch off a bit and relax, the job was done and they’re saving energy for the games to come. If we had conceded I’m sure the lads would have stepped it up a gear but there’s got to be a balance. You can’t expect 14/15 players to play this often with no break and be completely on form 90 minutes every 3 days, it’s impossible.
Is the argument “if we had conceded two goals, as we could have at the end, we would have stepped up again and scored two more to sustain the 4 goal margin going in to the second leg”?

If so, ok, I can see that side. I just don’t think the way we dropped off and relaxed was necessary. We can do better when closing out matches, even whilst shifting down in the gears to allow us to conserve energy. We have done better and against better sides at that.

But perhaps you are right about giving it a rest as it seems there doesn’t seem to be much appetite for that discussion. I’ll let it go.

Excellent professional performance tonight with one foot in the QF.

Ilkay was my MOTM and good to see him get on the score sheet. Bernardo had another excellent game and is settling into the team really well.

Ota was a bit sloppy tonight but overall another great win

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.