Club statement regarding Barry Bennell's conviction

The Barry Bennell scandal was "brushed under the carpet" by Crewe Alexandra, according to the eminent barrister who prosecuted the serial paedophile in 1998.

Lord Carlile - one of the country's top legal experts - told the BBC the club at the centre of the case was guilty of "institutional failure" over their former youth coach.

He also fears young footballers were abused because "this danger was not drawn to the attention of a wider public".

Bennell, 64, who has already served three prison sentences, has been convicted of 43 further charges of child sex abuse by a jury at Liverpool Crown Court.

In a statement on Thursday, Crewe said the club "was not aware of any sexual abuse by Bennell" until his arrest in Florida in 1994, and that it did not receive any sexual abuse complaint about him "before or during his employment with the club."

Crewe also said a police investigation found "no evidence to corroborate that the club was aware of Bennell's offending".

Bennell, who worked with a number of clubs across the north west of England, including Manchester City and Stoke City, was jailed for nine years in 1998, pleading guilty to 23 specimen charges at Chester Crown Court.

But the prosecuting barrister at the trial, Alex Carlile QC, who was made a life peer in 1999, has now spoken out for the first time about Crewe's handling of the case.

"I believe the Crewe board should have addressed this issue, and I'd be very interested to see the board minutes of the time because I feel sure the board would have discussed it in some way, but I have the feeling it was brushed under the carpet," he said.

"What I am satisfied about is that there should have been further inquiry by any club involved, including Crewe Alexandra. I'm surprised I did not read subsequently that Crewe had carried out an inquiry into what had occurred."

I spent hundreds maybe thousands of hours of my life at Platt Lane in the 1980s and 1990s and attending the boys brigade on Platt Lane.- where a very senior figure was found guilty of extreme child abuse. It was a very different world. The sad thing is all the good that came out of that place with the thousands of hours of patience and coaching put in by the likes of Ian Scott, Gus Wilson and Ralph (all absolutely top men) and many others over many years and all the good that Platt Lane did (and still does) will now forever be tainted slightly by twats like this Bennell. Even now when I drop my lad to training at his team, a tiny seed of doubt occasionally enters my head thinking - I hope this coach is 100% ok. It is sad that I have a thought like that but natural when you hear these stories. This will be the thought of millions of Dads as they trust people around their kids every week. Twats like Bennel should be hung. I am sorry but what he subjected young lads to is beyond forgivable. This really makes my blood boil.

I hope the media don't try and label it to modern day City.

Donald Mackintosh.
I’m happy to name the bastard.

Knocks me sick
Knocks me sick seeing him in a full City kit. A true parasite of depravity. I had trials for City around 1987 when I was 13/14 at Hough end fields. I passed the first week, then the 2nd week but didn't turn up the 3rd week coz there was a bird I was after on the park as I walked past to get the bus. I didn't go and got a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow instead. Anyway, on the 2nd trial there were loads of coaches and scouts there and I'll have my bottom dollar that one of them was this vile bastard. Maybe I dodged a bullet not going back who knows ? But my heart goes out to the lads who got abused. Rot in hell you sick #unt.

But did you get the girl?

Last edited by a moderator:
I had trials for City around 1987 when I was 13/14 at Hough end fields. I passed the first week, then the 2nd week but didn't turn up the 3rd week coz there was a bird I was after on the park as I walked past to get the bus. I didn't go and got a 2 litre bottle of Strongbow instead.

I know this is a serious and harrowing subject, but I have to say - that part of your story did make me smile. Glad to know it - eventually - had a happy ending! :)

Back on topic, City's statement says that the club's review has uncovered "serious allegations of child sex abuse in respect of two identifiable individuals with potential historic connections to Manchester City", and Bennell is the first of them. The other guy is called John Broome; he's "deceased and is not believed to be linked to Bennell". I don't know who Broome is, and I haven't been able to find out much by Googling. All I can find are media stories from today reporting that City named him in their statement. Is anyone aware who he was and how he may have been with the club?

Yes - thankfully killed himself when he was facing up to yet more charges.

Took the easy way out then, i'd much rather see scum like this endure years of suffering like they have subjected their victims to.

Took the easy way out then, i'd much rather see scum like this endure years of suffering like they have subjected their victims to.

If prison over there is like it is in the States, he'll definitely endure some suffering. Pedophiles, rapists, and abusers find themselves a painful time once they're locked up, rightly so.

If prison over there is like it is in the States, he'll definitely endure some suffering. Pedophiles, rapists, and abusers find themselves a painful time once they're locked up, rightly so.

Sounds as though he's quite ill, so it might not happen. even if it does, he'll be in a secure area and not in general population.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.