Should Spurs Be Allowed To Play A FA Cup Semi-Final at Wembley.....

We had a few war wounds after that game , remember it kicking off in our end during the replay match always despised the self righteous f*ckers since that day.
I didn't see Steve Mckenzies goal til the following year due to the avalanche of sharpened coins coming at us (and that goal was better that Villa's)

Lets face it the FA should never have allowed Spurs or the Arse (in the past) to have used the stadium in the first place, it gives Spurs a financial boost towards the cost of their new stadium they would have not got having to share with another team and that is unfair to the rest of the teams in the UK.

If Spurs couldn't use WHL due to disaster of some sort then that's a different matter but the FA should have kept well out of it but its there own greed and mismanagement with the whole Wembley thing that has led us to this.

How many games have Spurs even played there? Is it even enough for it to be considered “home”?

When we play Arsenal on Sunday, that will be their 11th game at Wembley in the last four years.

I didn't see Steve Mckenzies goal til the following year due to the avalanche of sharpened coins coming at us (and that goal was better that Villa's)

Funny how it goes lots of tales of Blues getting strife at Everton and both finals against Spurs, even some at Peterborough in the fifth round, went to every round and had no bother at all, heard some going on a few times but somehow came unscathed through all of them.

Gutted on the Thursday night, still hurts to this day and I too have had a dislike of Spurs ever since.

As for them playing at Wembley, I expect it will be explained that Wembley is a temporary residence thus it doesnt apply. This is of course bollocks as Spurs would or will have a clear advantage. In my book it certainly doesnt do the integrity of the FA Cup any good at a time when the competition needs some kind of boost.

It is not about "home" for me but the inherent advantage Spurs enjoy this year because of familiarity with the pitch, surface and surroundings plus the skewed bias in favour of the London clubs playing at "home"..

Spurs playing home games at Wembley compounds the FA's inherent self interest to generate extra revenue. Internationals and showcase games mean a jolly good day out for all within easy reach and especially for the FA and priveleged who enjoy top notch facilities. London clubs do not have to travel any distance. Neither do their supporters.

So the fans in one of the richest cities in the world have the least inconvenience and lowest total cost to watch a game at Wembley made worse by odd ko times and invariable problems with rail and the motorways for supporters of clubs outside London.

I believe that Spurs and Chelsea next renting Wembley have negated the economic argument for holding FA cup semi finals at Wembley. The sooner they are returned to neutral grounds the better with a 50-50 ticket split to each club with no freeloading FA, Wembley club or neutral once in a lifetime London tourist. Football is about the fans who turn up each week at all levels. Without their support the sponsorship and tv deals would not exist.

Funny how it goes lots of tales of Blues getting strife at Everton and both finals against Spurs, even some at Peterborough in the fifth round, went to every round and had no bother at all, heard some going on a few times but somehow came unscathed through all of them.

Gutted on the Thursday night, still hurts to this day and I too have had a dislike of Spurs ever since.

As for them playing at Wembley, I expect it will be explained that Wembley is a temporary residence thus it doesnt apply. This is of course bollocks as Spurs would or will have a clear advantage. In my book it certainly doesnt do the integrity of the FA Cup any good at a time when the competition needs some kind of boost.
You didnt see the scrapping in our end on the Thursday night then? Most did

Lets face it the FA should never have allowed Spurs or the Arse (in the past) to have used the stadium in the first place, it gives Spurs a financial boost towards the cost of their new stadium they would have not got having to share with another team and that is unfair to the rest of the teams in the UK.
Yeah I agree - it's not fair. Imagine the uproar if one team was given a 100 million quid stadium funded by the lottery and Sport England at no cost to the team playing there......

Yeah I agree - it's not fair. Imagine the uproar if one team was given a 100 million quid stadium funded by the lottery and Sport England at no cost to the team playing there......

Or another part funded by loans by a council and built on land used for playing fields with a covenant on it......

If Spurs couldn't use WHL due to disaster of some sort then that's a different matter but the FA should have kept well out of it but its there own greed and mismanagement with the whole Wembley thing that has led us to this.

I've kept out of this discussion thus far but I have to reply to this!

Firstly, after paying £15m in rent; plus numerous costs related to making a home away from home for a season; plus the loss of income from catering etc; I doubt that Spurs' profit from their one year stay at Wembley will give them much of a financial boost.

Secondly, I can't helping smiling at the irony in your post. I know all too well how tiresome City fans find it when fans of other clubs complain that City's move to Eastlands was the catalyst for the club's dramatic transformation. Undoubtedly, City could not have afforded to build such a stadium themselves at the time. So, yes, they did benefit. But, in exchange, the council got the Maine Road site and City have paid a fair rent ever since. Not to mention that City also paid for the transformation costs from athletics to football. It was a sensible solution to the (Commonwealth Games stadium) conundrum.

Likewise Spurs' temporary occupation of Wembley. There was no other credible option. It is a mutually beneficial arrangement. Spurs get the temporary home that they needed. Wembley / the FA get a sorely needed income windfall.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.