Man City fan sites on YouTube

The answer to both of your questions then is that the ''voice of the fans'' is never represented in any official publication / media outlet. The club want you to read / watch what they want you to read / watch. They are the sporting equivalent of a party political broadcast.
Ah I see! Fair enough

Ah I see! Fair enough
One of the reasons I got involved with fanzines and the Centenery Supporters Association is at the time ''Swales Out'' was a very vocal chant with a lot of unrest amongst the ''fan on the street'' (whatever that meant!) yet the Official Supporters Club General Secretary made a statement in the MEN claiming that the supporters club was 100% behind Swales (which was news to me as a member since my opinion was not sought before the statement was made). Of course the statement was made because the supporters club was dependent on tickets for games, players at branch meetings and use of the social club before and after games. They were very unlikely to be anything but supportive of Swales.

So it was obvious (to me) that an independent (of the club) supporters association was needed to be able to speak freely and constructively against the club without the fear of being sanctioned for doing so. Same here today with independent run youtube channels. As long as they are constructive in any criticism that is fine by me.

The Arsenal thing is comical to watch from the outside but I'd be embarrassed if a channel like that was associated with City and some Paul Nolan sound-a-like was given air time to spout shite like that.

One of the reasons I got involved with fanzines and the Centenery Supporters Association is at the time ''Swales Out'' was a very vocal chant with a lot of unrest amongst the ''fan on the street'' (whatever that meant!) yet the Official Supporters Club General Secretary made a statement in the MEN claiming that the supporters club was 100% behind Swales (which was news to me as a member since my opinion was not sought before the statement was made). Of course the statement was made because the supporters club was dependent on tickets for games, players at branch meetings and use of the social club before and after games. They were very unlikely to be anything but supportive of Swales.

So it was obvious (to me) that an independent (of the club) supporters association was needed to be able to speak freely and constructively against the club without the fear of being sanctioned for doing so. Same here today with independent run youtube channels. As long as they are constructive in any criticism that is fine by me.

The Arsenal thing is comical to watch from the outside but I'd be embarrassed if a channel like that was associated with City and some Paul Nolan sound-a-like was given air time to spout shite like that.
That's interesting, thanks. Although I do wonder if they're as relevant these days with the prevalence of the internet. I mean can't people just come on here and voice their opinions freely enough right? Once upon a time I suppose it was fanzines or nothing by your sentiment?

But then I'm not opposed to these youtube channels. The original post just suggested they were something we needed but I find I can get all the same stories, reactions, opinions and over emotional reactions I need on this website amongst many others.

That's interesting, thanks. Although I do wonder if they're as relevant these days with the prevalence of the internet. I mean can't people just come on here and voice their opinions freely enough right? Once upon a time I suppose it was fanzines or nothing by your sentiment?

But then I'm not opposed to these youtube channels. The original post just suggested they were something we needed but I find I can get all the same stories, reactions, opinions and over emotional reactions I need on this website amongst many others.
The fanzines were very necessary at the time. There was no Talksport / internet etc etc. Local radio stations were not bothered about fan issues, just covering the games. All the media saw us all as hooligans encouraged by thatcher.
Slowly fanzines changed the media perception of fans, helped by the emergence of the Football Supporters Association (which became the FSF in 2002) and radio stations started having fanzine editors in the studio talking about fan issues etc and then BBC2 programmes like Standing Room Only ran for three series too. Even thye MEN began asking for input from fanzine writers too.
I am amazed King Of The Kippax is still going due to the internet and websites etc but fair play to them for keeping on..... a bit like Kindle with me.... I still refuse to download a book but prefer a hard copy in my hand on the plane and on the beach!

........The Arsenal thing is comical to watch from the outside but I'd be embarrassed if a channel like that was associated with City and some Paul Nolan sound-a-like was given air time to spout shite like that.
Paul Nolan. Now there's a blast from the past. Whatever happened to that guy? And who's he "supporting" these days?

The fanzines were very necessary at the time. There was no Talksport / internet etc etc. Local radio stations were not bothered about fan issues, just covering the games. All the media saw us all as hooligans encouraged by thatcher.
Slowly fanzines changed the media perception of fans, helped by the emergence of the Football Supporters Association (which became the FSF in 2002) and radio stations started having fanzine editors in the studio talking about fan issues etc and then BBC2 programmes like Standing Room Only ran for three series too. Even thye MEN began asking for input from fanzine writers too.
I am amazed King Of The Kippax is still going due to the internet and websites etc but fair play to them for keeping on..... a bit like Kindle with me.... I still refuse to download a book but prefer a hard copy in my hand on the plane and on the beach!
I suppose we should be grateful given how we now have a platform to speak.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.