Jadon Sancho

I simply demonstrated a fact - we are miles behind the other top clubs in Europe when it comes to youth involvement in the squad. That's not denigrating, it's a simply a fact, stated in reply to a comment that "we miles ahead of most clubs".

Who knows how big a role that has played in leading to situations like Sancho, Ty Cambell, Bobby Duncan etc. and how many more times it will happen? But I didn't comment on that.
Not sure I understood you correctly, but here's numbers depicting the involvement of U23s in the PL:

Not sure I understood you correctly, but here's numbers depicting the involvement of U23s in the PL:

We've bought pretty much all of those U23s though. That only supports Sancho's summer belief that the best way for him to be a starter at a tier 1 club when he's 21 was for him to move to a tier 2 club and excel, rather than stay and develop from within. I think the jury's still out on his decision, but I'd say the evidence supports his view.

The conversation is about academy players, and when I said "youth" I meant our youth, our academy players. You surely must know that how many minutes 40-50m signings like Sterling, Sané, Bernardo, Jesus etc. get isn't that relevant to a conversation about academy players?

If you want to bring minutes into it, here's the one that players like Sancho and others in the academy will actually care about -

tehlsjs71nr01.png

It's from a week ago,so you can add 20 minutes for Foden, but also add 90 for most of the others. Personally I think Pogba being on there is a joke, but fortunately it lists the minutes of each player so we can just say the rags should be on 3500 minutes.

Last edited:
The conversation is about academy players, and when I said "youth" I meant our youth, our academy players. You surely must know that how many minutes 40-50m signings like Sterling, Sané, Bernardo, Jesus etc. get isn't that relevant to a conversation about academy players?

If you want to bring minutes into it, here's the one that players like Sancho and others in the academy will actually care about -

tehlsjs71nr01.png

It's from a week ago,so you can add 20 minutes for Foden, but also add 90 for most of the others. Personally I think Pogba being on there is a joke, but fortunately it lists the minutes of each player so we can just say the rags should be on 3500 minutes.

You have to say that's just not good enough! For me we have to put this right and quickly. It's sending the wrong message to the academy and you can understand it unsettling some players.

We've bought pretty much all of those U23s though. That only supports Sancho's summer belief that the best way for him to be a starter at a tier 1 club when he's 21 was for him to move to a tier 2 club and excel, rather than stay and develop from within. I think the jury's still out on his decision, but I'd say the evidence supports his view.

You might want to read this again

tehlsjs71nr01.png

Was Bellerin included in the Arsenal numbers?

Yes, all the players involved are listed on the image.
Can't make it out on my phone tbh, after 8 years at Barca's academy and 2 years in Arsenal's reserves I'd suggest having him in there is just as silly as £100m Pogba (signed from Le Havre at 16).
If they're going to compare academy players they should actually compare academy players and not the ones cherry picked from other clubs academies when they're old enough to sign a professional contract.

Can't make it out on my phone tbh, after 8 years at Barca's academy and 2 years in Arsenal's reserves I'd suggest having him in there is just as silly as £100m Pogba (signed from Le Havre at 16).
If they're going to compare academy players they should actually compare academy players and not the ones cherry picked from other clubs academies when they're old enough to sign a professional contract.

He arrived at 16 years old. Would you also want Maffeo, Angelino, Manu Garcia, written off and discounted if they played 2,000 minutes next year?

He arrived at 16 years old. Would you also want Maffeo written off and discounted if he played 2,000 minutes next year?
I don't consider him or Diaz academy products any more than Aleix Garcia, Iheanacho, Sané or Jesus, they're just very smart transfers pulled off with a deal of foresight. While the club should get the credit for developing them as young professionals, the academy plays very little part.
Even Angus Gunn is stretching it a bit as he signed when he was 15.
The rags can go and poach half of Huddersfield's u-18s with senior contracts if they want to pad their stats, I'd leave them to it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.