Anti depressants..

This too is complete bullshit. If your mental illness is caused by a chemical imbalance, drugs are actually the fucking cure you twit.
You're right that there is a chemical imbalance associated with these illnesses, but to think of the drugs as a cure is not the way to go about it. Any good Consultant Psychiatrist will readily admit the medications are there to help, and they do help in the vast majority of cases, but they are not a cure. The approach used will be "Biopsychosocial", looking at Biology, Psychology and Social circumstances; and they will target all three areas, not just the biology, to achieve results.

Also dishing out abuse to anyone who has different outlooks on these things doesn't seem a particularly helpful thing to be doing.

Last edited:
Thank you ^^

I would only consider switching to Escitalopram because it’s supposedly something you can switch to from Citalopram without having any major side effects.

Incidentally, Citalopram is the only anti-depressant I’ve taken that has been of some benefit. I’ve also tried Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Mirtazapine and Paroxetine but they were all dreadful for me personally. But everyone is different, so what didn’t work for me will prove to be beneficial for many others and vice versa.

Your doc will give you whatever he/she has got in a deal with the salesperson they see every week.
https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/...e-coming-battle-over-serotonin-and-depression
I was a sales exec for a major drug company and you don't do deals with drs,you present your drugs and the evidence as do the other companies,ask them to do a trial with a patient and see what happens,they don't get back handers to use any companies drugs,they have a strict criteria for use of drugs,there is a recognised first line treatment then after that they might try something you have suggested but they might not

Thank you ^^

I would only consider switching to Escitalopram because it’s supposedly something you can switch to from Citalopram without having any major side effects.

Incidentally, Citalopram is the only anti-depressant I’ve taken that has been of some benefit. I’ve also tried Fluoxetine, Sertraline, Mirtazapine and Paroxetine but they were all dreadful for me personally. But everyone is different, so what didn’t work for me will prove to be beneficial for many others and vice versa.
I wouldn't take the advice of an agressive american,they use different things in the states for one and it isn't doing much for him,if you have tried lots of medications and find Citalopram works for you then stay with it and power through the current side effects and then see how you feel,switching at this point imo wouldn't be the right thing to do,give it a couple of weeks then meet with your dr again

I wouldn't take the advice of an agressive american,they use different things in the states for one and it isn't doing much for him,if you have tried lots of medications and find Citalopram works for you then stay with it and power through the current side effects and then see how you feel,switching at this point imo wouldn't be the right thing to do,give it a couple of weeks then meet with your dr again

Thanks. I imagine you are correct. Switching medications now would probably muddy the waters even more.

My next appointment is on the 10th but I am cautiously optimistic that I won’t still feel like I’ve had a lobotomy by then.

Whilst I’m not against using SSRIs, I don’t particularly want to be on one my entire life and I know how difficult it can be to wean off them.

Thanks. I imagine you are correct. Switching medications now would probably muddy the waters even more.

My next appointment is on the 10th but I am cautiously optimistic that I won’t still feel like I’ve had a lobotomy by then.

Whilst I’m not against using SSRIs, I don’t particularly want to be on one my entire life and I know how difficult it can be to wean off them.
Stick with it till you see him,don't look too far into the future with regards to taking them a long time,1 step at at a time hun

You can't throw a cure all blanket on depression or anxiety and it is experienced and thus treated differently by everyone so all the arguing on this thread is pointless and unhelpful.

My advice is fuck the stigma attached to anti-depressants(they're not a sign of weakness) and try them, don't rely on them as the answer though but rather as a safety rope as you (try to)climb out of the hole you're in.

Lots of things about our lives aren’t very ‘nice’. Like the way we behave sometimes. I think that little quote wasn’t one of your finest moments.

Fuck you. People kill themselves every day because of the stigma over mental health. They don't seek mental health when they need it because of assholes who spout the type of shit that many on here are spouting. If you don't like it go do one.

Who the fuck are you to be calling a twit? I was talking about depression and not giving medical advice but my own personal experience but you steam in and offer out abuse and your own sage advice like you're doctor fuckin Dr. Quinn Medicine woman. You might try a pill of your own and chill the fuck out. Prick.

Real people get hurt because of the ignorance that you spread.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.