Old Maine Road photos thread

true. I imagine a lot of us have stood/sat in many places on the Kippax.
Ive sat on the front wall, the wall top to bottom next to Gene Kelly, Piccadilly Radio tunnel and tunnel opposite the Main Stand police box. Stood 6 foot up on the very back under the roof, and up the main support girders. Never did the floodlights though.
I stood on the girder along the back wall as well with the spikes sticking through my shoes and just tall enough to grip the top girder , 6 foot above the ground and petrified to move !

It Is true I still see 3 of the guys .If I find it again I'll get it on here
It is true, I was in the platt lane at my 1st Derby and remember them climbing up from the platt lane end of the Kippax roof up on to the gantry on the Kippax roof

Could you walk round from the Kippax to the Platt Lane Stand which was originally a standing terrace. I was at the back of that stand for my first derby game when we beat the rags 3-0 in 1960.
There was a fence in line with the corner flag where the platt lane seats ended and the Kippax uncovered standing corner started

There was also a fence out the back of the stand separating the Kippax from the platt lane

I think there was also an extra entrance from the Kippax where you could transfer from the Kippax in to the seats for a small payment

Great photo . Snow on the terraces. Would never be allowed nowadays. How on earth did we survive those times ?
Yeah, in those days it was par for the course that the terraces would be icy during the winter months. An extra pair of socks was necessary from November to February. Wasn't a problem for us, but you try and tell the young people of today that and they won't believe you. :-)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.