How Peter Swales became City chairman

Donoghue was also chosen as a Labour candidate for the 1964 General Election, but stood down due to ill health. Considering his insane workload I suspect he worked himself into an early grave.

I'll check my cuttings and let you know what I have about the rally .
There is only one family member left that I know of on my mum's side, another cousin of my mum and Peter.
I last spoke with him when my mum passed 4 years ago so fingers crossed he is still with us. I'll give him a call over the next day or two.

I’ve noticed there have been a lot of threads about Peter Swales over the years, but none have provided the answers people are looking for.

I’m a former financial journalist and have been researching the Swales era for the last few years. Back in the day I created the Purely Man City blog, and have now relaunched it on Substack. I’m starting with a serialisation explaining how Swales become chairman. I’ve just published the first installment, which details a secret deed of covenant signed by City’s directors in 1964 that inadvertently paved the way for Swales’ rise to power.

It’s free to view via the link below:

https://mcfchistory.substack.com/p/how-peter-swales-became-city-chairman

Well, fuck me, someone on here who knows something about what he is talking about. We should have you stuffed .....

Keep up the good work.

Well, fuck me, someone on here who knows something about what he is talking about. We should have you stuffed .....

Keep up the good work.
Nah! Why spoil a good myth with those damn facts? The OP is Mr. Gradgrind.

I’ve noticed there have been a lot of threads about Peter Swales over the years, but none have provided the answers people are looking for.

I’m a former financial journalist and have been researching the Swales era for the last few years. Back in the day I created the Purely Man City blog, and have now relaunched it on Substack. I’m starting with a serialisation explaining how Swales become chairman. I’ve just published the first installment, which details a secret deed of covenant signed by City’s directors in 1964 that inadvertently paved the way for Swales’ rise to power.

It’s free to view via the link below:

https://mcfchistory.substack.com/p/how-peter-swales-became-city-chairman
Good to see you back Andrew. I'm looking forward to reading this.

However I've been doing my own deep research and my view is that Swalesy was stabbed in the back by Lee, and if he'd been given more time (he only had 17 years at the helm after all, which was barely enough to make his mark) we'd have got to where we are now much sooner.

Sheikh Mansour & Khaldoon really fell lucky and with minimal investment just benefited from the groundwork Swales put in.

Last edited:
Good to see you back Andrew. I'm looking forward to reading this.

However I've been doing my own deep research and my view is that Swalesy was stabbed in the back by Lee, and if he'd been given more time (he only had 17 years at the helm after all, which was barely enough to nahe his mark) we'd have got to where we are now much sooner.

Sheikh Mansour & Khaldoon really fell luck and just benefited from the groundwork Swales put in.
Thanks. On a serious note, it's a shame that all the talk about the investment in the club from our current owner hasn't been put in the context of the disinvestment that occured during the Swales era.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.