24 | Joško Gvardiol - 2023/24

• Thread starter BrazilianGus
  • Start date
i agree, his passing is a bit wasted on the left, ake is a better fit there for us, i think. Hopefully we can see a rearrangement soon enough, although pep seems to have him nailed down as a left back for now
I'd definitely swap the 2. Ake was one of the best LBs in the league last season and Gvardiol is a natural CB. Reminds me of Stones with his ball playing and ability to drive through the defence.

I'd be pairing him with Dias in all our big games when Stones is injured. Pep maybe wants to give him more time to settle in but he's the most obvious replacement for the Stones role.

Testament to how good he is that we are barely mentioning him and theres been no talk of a bedding in period. Slots into any position in defence like he's been here for years not a few months. We paid top dollar for him and we've got what we've paid for. Rolls Royce of a player in every single way.

Jonny Stones should walk back into the team IMO but where? I’m not sure.

Walker obviously put terms on the table in the Summer about game time and is now captain so you’d think he has that right back position locked down for the foreseeable.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Stones’ transformation last season sees him pushed into midfield - whether that’s in the 6 position or as an 8 like he was in the CL final.

Nah , he is better than Ake at both position. It just looks that way because when he plays LB he doesn't get enough of the ball at his feet like when he plays CB. It is much more difficult to dominate from the LB position than from the CB, but he is no stranger to that either. In order for him to be fully usable in the LB position, we have to wait for Stones to return, because with Ake and Akanji it is impossible to create a 3-2 starting position, therefore everything looks strange.

Rodri Stones
Gvardiol Dias Walker

That is probably our best back 5 , and so in the world of the football

Will be interesting to see what happens when Stones (wherever he is) is back.

Atm Walker, Dias, Gvardiol, Ake is our best 4.

I think we've reached a point where all five of those players feel equally wanted and valued and they are happy to rotate. I think for whatever reason, Laporte had come to be the odd one out with Guardiola and it was quite clear he was bottom of the pecking order and it was a situation that couldnt continue. I think the players we have in those positions now aren't jostling for a place in any hierarchy and all know they will play enough games and probs be glad to have the odd rest when it's 2-3 games a week. It'll be a case of horses for courses I reckon and being benched isnt seen as a snub. Plus someone is usually injured at any given time too.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.